The Witcher 3: Digital copies are 50% of rev, 30% PC/70% console, 25% dig/75% retail

CD Projekt Red representative has responded to a financial question added on their official corporate forums.

By the end of June 2015 platform split looked as follows:

PC - 30%
Consoles - 70%

25% - Digital sales (50% of the total revenue)
75% - Retail

Recently released financial data excludes the proceeds from Expansion Passes/preorders. 

80% of all marketing costs were covered by the distributors - namely Namco Bandai, Warner Bros and partners in other regions.

Seen this on GAF. Remember the arguments on Neowin about the PC graphics and what consoles had done to The Witcher? (cue master race vs peasants) Yeah...

*If* you have the hardware, the graphics look better on the pc, and you can always hook up an X360/XOne Controller.
That being said, I've played a lot on XOne version (Physical) and it does look great.

• Like 1

My general rule (there are rare exceptions) is:

DRM-free PC version (gog.com/humble/direct from dev) > PS4 version > Steam Version

So I went with Witcher III from GoG.com for PC... especially since the developers are the same company that owns Gog.com and I wanted to support them directly instead of giving Microsoft, Sony, or Valve a cut of the money.  Despite having a fairly modern gaming PC (about a year old now) that handles Witcher 3 just fine I don't feel any resentment or vast superiority over those who opt for console versions.  To each his/her own.

• Like 1

Seen this on GAF. Remember the arguments on Neowin about the PC graphics and what consoles had done to The Witcher? (cue master race vs peasants) Yeah...

There used to be a vast gulf between PC capabilities and console capabilities.

It's pretty much irrelevant now.

There's still a few people who would argue it to death, but thankfully not many.

I'm pretty sure that Gulf is still there. Especially when we get to single-card 4K gaming the differences are going to be  more pronounced than ever.

Personally, I think this is great for CDPR. They can raise more revenue and hopefully put some of that into their future titles. If they keep looking after their PC gaming fans then I say make all the console versions you want.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure that Gulf is still there. Especially when we get to single-card 4K gaming the differences are going to be  more pronounced than ever.

Personally, I think this is great for CDPR. They can raise more revenue and hopefully put some of that into their future titles. If they keep looking after their PC gaming fans then I say make all the console versions you want.

hell yeah,  all the other issues aside, i really really really want the http://cyberpunk.net/ to be amazing.    if it is like witcher 3, in cyberpunk setting, it is going to be AWESOME :D

Video cards are obviously still a difference, but DX12 fixes PCs problems with unique geometry and the current consoles fixed consoles problems with any amount of detail.

With those out of the way, it's basically how much do you want to spend on your machine, do you want the exclusives,  and whether or not keyboard and mouse is that important to you.  The games are pretty much the same, except (mostly) for strategy and indie titles of wildly varying quality on PC.

Edited by randomevent

hell yeah,  all the other issues aside, i really really really want the http://cyberpunk.net/ to be amazing.    if it is like witcher 3, in cyberpunk setting, it is going to be AWESOME :D

Yep. Love CP. Looking forward to it.

it's basically how much do you want to spend on your machine,

do you want the exclusives,

and whether or not keyboard and mouse is that important to you. 

1. More than I know I should. :rofl:

2. Yes. That is why I also buy consoles.

3. Very. Esp. for FPS. I tried to play an fps on a console a little while ago and I had forgotten how awkward it is :/

3. Very. Esp. for FPS. I tried to play an fps on a console a little while ago and I had forgotten how awkward it is :/

Hell of a lot less than it used to be, at least with the X1 controller.  I never liked playing them on the 360.

I still prefer kb+m for it but I did some Titanfall, Halo MCC and now a buttload of Destiny and got no complaints.

• 2 weeks later...

My general rule (there are rare exceptions) is:

DRM-free PC version (gog.com/humble/direct from dev) > PS4 version > Steam Version

So I went with Witcher III from GoG.com for PC... especially since the developers are the same company that owns Gog.com and I wanted to support them directly instead of giving Microsoft, Sony, or Valve a cut of the money.  Despite having a fairly modern gaming PC (about a year old now) that handles Witcher 3 just fine I don't feel any resentment or vast superiority over those who opt for console versions.  To each his/her own.

I pre-ordered (something I've not done in a long time) the pc / gog.com version & expansion.
I picked up xone version closer to it's launch.

Hell of a lot less than it used to be, at least with the X1 controller.  I never liked playing them on the 360.

I still prefer kb+m for it but I did some Titanfall, Halo MCC and now a buttload of Destiny and got no complaints.

I agree it has certainly improved. Better thumbsticks and I think some games have that "snap to" or "auto aim" stuff which, when the crosshair is close to a target, automatically snaps to them.

But let's be serious: cursors, and by extension reticles or crosshairs, were never designed to be controlled with a thumb or joystick. It's too imprecise. All my FPS stuff is done on PC now.