Finally someone benches the Seagate Game Drive

Seagate isn't what it once was...How long will this drive last is the real question that should be asked...

these mfg's keep going back and forth in quality... in the 90's I hated WD drives, they were loud, slow and failed fast at least for me... and Seagate seemed to be  better then... now it seems like every portable Seagate drive I have fails within a year or starts having bad block reallocation problems... (although had two WD green drives do the same thing this past year) but I've been buying WD Red drives for all my SAN / NAS drives... no problems yet..

• Like 2

these mfg's keep going back and forth in quality... in the 90's I hated WD drives, they were loud, slow and failed fast at least for me... and Seagate seemed to be  better then... now it seems like every portable Seagate drive I have fails within a year or starts having bad block reallocation problems... (although had two WD green drives do the same thing this past year) but I've been buying WD Red drives for all my SAN / NAS drives... no problems yet..

I've been really lucky with HDDs. Some toshiba drive I ripped out of my PS3 and hooked up to my TV as a live T.V./DVR is still chugging along. I've got Seagate and WD drives in various devices/systems. Optical drives on the other hand... I refuse to put ODD in any of my systems now. Too many bad experiences.

If you are gaming on a console is benchmarking really a priority? I'm not being all master-racy here but did anyone think this drive was going to be particularly fast? It should operate in the parameters of a HDD unpowered by an AC adaptor.

If you are gaming on a console is benchmarking really a priority? I'm not being all master-racy here but did anyone think this drive was going to be particularly fast? It should operate in the parameters of a HDD unpowered by an AC adaptor.

USB3 is capable of delivering a lot of power, so that's not much of an issue.  And I know with Destiny at least I've seen some loading hitches lessen with a better drive.

I was mainly interested because I already have a Passport X...which works better than my external drive on my computer, but has a rather annoying LED.  I could see upgrading it eventually.  Perhaps not to this though.

USB3 is capable of delivering a lot of power, so that's not much of an issue.  And I know with Destiny at least I've seen some loading hitches lessen with a better drive.

I was mainly interested because I already have a Passport X...which works better than my external drive on my computer, but has a rather annoying LED.  I could see upgrading it eventually.  Perhaps not to this though.

black electrical tape is your friend... :-)

black electrical tape is your friend... :-)

I worry about the heat distribution with things like that.  Would rather not harm performance or fry something just because it was annoying.

I can usually hide it anyway, so whatever works.