unity engine? is it worth developing for or should I seek a new one?

I wanna make a game or two and unity strikes as being very new dev friendly... any thoughts? I want something that won't require a huge team and I can make a game or two in my spare time. Is unity good or should I try another?

You could always try UE4 too, I'm working on a game and testing both engines out.  Even though theres a higher learning curve to UE4, I'm finding it easier overall to work with.

I wanna make a game or two and unity strikes as being very new dev friendly... any thoughts? I want something that won't require a huge team and I can make a game or two in my spare time. Is unity good or should I try another?

Unity is probably the best to get started on.  It's primary development is in C# and you can do a lot through the GUI.

Unreal is more pro level, it's free too but they dropped Unreal Script (which was at a similar level of ease of use as C# in Unity) in the latest version and now you have to use C++.  If you're comfortable with programming in C++ it's a better option but if you're new to game development/programming it's got a much higher barrier to entry.

If you don't know programming at all then you may be better getting a game with mod tools and working on custom mods to start out and work your way up to a stand-alone game.  A lot of big games started as mods to other games (Counter-Strike, Day Z, etc.)

As a sole contributor to a project I don't think you'll ever hit the limitations that come with Unity. It's got a strong customer base so it won't go anywhere, works well across all platforms and has loads of nice features, and like others have said, it's easy to work with.

Unreal Engine is more powerful and considerably faster, but demands more "lower level" (which is not to say low level) programming.

I think @Asmodai summed it up quite nicely.

Unity is great, I have shipped a few games on it, that was back in the 3.0 days. I personally prefer UE4, you can get more done in it, even if you don't have any programming ability. 

• 4 weeks later...