How do you revert the windows 10 boot menu from GUI mode to text mode?

This is really frustrating, the windows 10 GUI boot menu refuses to load my mouse or keyboard drivers so I can't pick which OS to boot from. I've tried disabling the GUI boot menu and going back to the classic text menu boot screen but windows 10 seems to decide when it wants to boot the GUI or text mode, about 1 in 10 times it'll load the text mode menu and 9/10 times the GUI boot menu.

I used BCDEdit to set it to use the text menu but it just completely ignores it. So how do I fix this damn annoying bug and just have the text boot menu always?

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier              {bootmgr}
device                  partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume2
path                    \EFI\MICROSOFT\BOOT\BOOTMGFW.EFI
description             Windows Boot Manager
locale                  en-GB
inherit                 {globalsettings}
default                 {current}
resumeobject            {4f94dff9-91f6-4de5-aefd-911547258079}
displayorder            {current}
                        {4f94dff9-91f6-4de5-aefd-911547258079}
toolsdisplayorder       {memdiag}
timeout                 5
displaybootmenu         No

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {current}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.efi
description             Windows 10
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
isolatedcontext         Yes
allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
osdevice                partition=C:
systemroot              \Windows
nx                      OptIn
bootmenupolicy          Legacy
hypervisorlaunchtype    Auto

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier              {4f94dff9-91f6-4de5-aefd-911547258079}
device                  partition=D:
path                    \Windows\system32\winload.efi
description             Windows 7
inherit                 {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence        {4f94dff9-91f6-4de5-aefd-911547258079}
recoveryenabled         Yes
osdevice                partition=D:
systemroot              \Windows
nx                      OptIn
bootmenupolicy          Legacy

Have you tried enabling legacy devices in your BIOS? That's what I had to do to get my keyboard to work when booting up. Otherwise it didn't work unless I used a PS/2 Keyboard (My mobo doesn't have that port anymore D: )

Just now, BinaryData said:

Have you tried enabling legacy devices in your BIOS? That's what I had to do to get my keyboard to work when booting up. Otherwise it didn't work unless I used a PS/2 Keyboard (My mobo doesn't have that port anymore D: )

Legacy mode is enabled in my BIOS by default. It's probably a BIOS firmware issue though because once I power my PC off, USB devices aren't properly powered off, i.e. mouse LED stays on.

4 minutes ago, n_K said:

Legacy mode is enabled in my BIOS by default. It's probably a BIOS firmware issue though because once I power my PC off, USB devices aren't properly powered off, i.e. mouse LED stays on.

Is it an older Motherboard? My old Intel LGA775 Motherboard left all the Lights on. Drove me insane. I ended up switching the power on the PSU off at night, otherwise all my case fan LEDs would stay on. =/

Hello,

Just to confirm, you ran a

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

command from an elevated Command Prompt to initially set the boot menu policy, correct?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Yes I used an elevated command prompt.
I was wrong - this issue isn't fixed, setting displaybootmenu to yes hasn't resolved it, sometimes it will be a GUI boot menu, other times it will be text based...

Hello,

It seems strange to me that the computer would randomly display GUI and text boot menus. 

Is more than one operating system installed on the computer?  If so, perhaps its boot manager is interfering.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

It's UEFI with rEFInd as the main bootloader, one option is for linux and the other is for windows, this then chainloads the windows bootloader which shows windows 10/windows 7 but flips randomly between text/GUI mode.

Hello,

I am thinking it is some sort of compatibility issue with rEFInd.  Do you have another disk drive you can wipe, install into the computer, and partition only with Windows 10 and then try changing the boot configuration with bcdedit to see if that makes any difference?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• 3 months later...

For anyone with the same issue, the problem is not windows 7, it's not linux and it's not refind: it's windows 10. To be more precise it's fast boot in windows 10.

To resolve the issue, you need to disable the fast startup option which you do by fully disabling hibernate, from an admin command prompt: powercfg /H off

On 03/04/2016 at 3:52 PM, xendrome said:

BTW try making sure your mouse/keyboard are not plugged into USB 3.0 ports, that might fix the boot GUI keyboard/mouse issue.

They're all in USB 2.0 ports, I only have one front USB 3.0 port. As said though, in text boot mode the keyboard works flawlessly, in GUI boot mode neither the mouse or keyboard work until windows has booted. Resolved anyhow with fast startup disabled!