Help me pick some desktop speakers, please :)

I am in the market for some new speakers and I was hoping some people could offer some pointers on the best bang for my buck (~$250AUD / ~$180USD). A couple I was looking at were the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 which are highly rated, but man, they ugly. Looks aren't everything, but they will be on my desktop and I have to look at them everyday.

There are also these Edifiers which are quite nice http://www.edifier.com/au/en/speakers/r1700bt-bluetooth-bookshelf - they have BT but I doubt I'd use that often.

AudioEngine also have the A2+ but they are a tad expensive.

I am really wanting to get some of the studio monitor style speakers above. I am not absolutely married to it if someone can give me some advice on different types.

12 hours ago, Anibal P said:

If you go 2.1 then it's REALLY hard to beat these in price and quality  Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 

http://www.klipsch.com/products/klipsch-promedia-2-1-computer-speakers

Have heard good things about them.

12 hours ago, warwagon said:

should go on ebay and get a nice used pare of logitech-z680's

logitech-z680.jpg

Super ugly.

12 hours ago, Co_Co said:

I have and love my MA-15D 

ma-15dbk_cw_angle_main.jpg

http://www.roland.com/products/ma-15d/

and the Klipsch are good 

Seemed to be discontinued.

PCCG rocks, my local joint lol. 

Umm I've got KRK6 Rokit studio monitors, and some other set which are good. They have a T9 badge on em, can't remember the brand. Google yo. 

On 2/1/2016 at 11:18 PM, Jared- said:

PCCG rocks, my local joint lol. 

Umm I've got KRK6 Rokit studio monitors, and some other set which are good. They have a T9 badge on em, can't remember the brand. Google yo. 

Their 2% surcharge kind of pisses me off, especially when I am spending a lot there. They also force parcel protection for purchases > $500

Those KRKs are nice, but out of my price range. $339 on eBay.

Only had them set up for about an hour but they are better than anything I have used in the past (and for the price $385AUD, they damn-well better).

They have high gloss/piano black tops and bottoms which, on other devices, I am usually scathing about but since you rarely touch or move desktop speakers I can forgive it. I will report back after I have listened to some more music and played a few games.

I've been following this thread, as I am also in the market for exactly such a setup, 2.1 speakers, and I haven't decided on anything specific yet from all the ones I've seen.

I would also be interested in your feedback. Do you know if the speakers can be mounted to a wall?

13 hours ago, Odom said:

I've been following this thread, as I am also in the market for exactly such a setup, 2.1 speakers, and I haven't decided on anything specific yet from all the ones I've seen.

I would also be interested in your feedback. Do you know if the speakers can be mounted to a wall?

There are no keyhole mounts on the back so I'm afraid you cannot mount them that way. You could put them on a shelf but they have some heft to them so you'd want to make sure the shelf was anchored to a stud.

As I said earlier, they do have that polished finish so you should be prepared to clean them every-so-often. If you have a really dusty house/apartment/room whatever that might be a bit of a chore. Or if you have animals that like to sit, scratch, or jump on things, again, that might be an issue.

I don't really know how to review stuff like this. I can only give you an idea of my set-up, share the kinds of games and music I listen to, and give you my general impression.

I have these in my office/study which is a fairly small room but I have a lot of crap in here which dampens a lot of reverb. I have a large rug which probably also absorbs some of the reverb. I have the satellite speakers on my desk, about 70cms apart, facing me, about 90cms away. The Sub is under my desk, just to my left.

I've been listening to mostly punk, rock, and metal (Sabbath, Maiden, BOC, DK, Ramones, Motorhead etc.) , but I also put on some hip-hop to give the woofer a good work-out (Eric B. & Rakim, ATCQ, EPMD, etc.) It all sounds very clear and crisp to me. I have found a lot of computer speakers sound kind of either muddy or high-pitched? Like all of the frequencies "run into" or conflict to each other. I think people would get what I mean. These speakers don't have that problem. Bass is clear and pronounced, the mids and highs are also clear and crisp.

As far as aesthetics go: these are very sexy. For some people they can overlook looks but I am going to use these everyday and they are a part of my desktop and they look really nice. The construction quality is also great. They have a good weight to them and don't feel cheap and plastic-y.

Sorry about the wall of text but I was just trying to give a rough overview of my experience so far. If you want me to cover anything else or elaborate on anything I have mentioned just let me know :)

The Klipsch 2.1 speakers have wall mounts that are available.  If you want something that can get extremely loud and has a really nice woofer, they will get the trick done.

I have the 5.1 Ultra set, which is no longer made, and they will rattle the walls.  Had the 2.1 before that, and they were very nice.

It's worth noting that if you simply want to "rattle the walls" and annoy your neighbours, almost anything with a woofer and amp will do. I think you can even buy those el cheapo amps on eBay and connect some speakers, a woofer and go nuts.

The quality would leave a lot to be desired, though.

On 2/3/2016 at 4:44 PM, I am Redbeard said:

I've been a long time fan of anything Altec Lansing.

:puke: inducing

Sorry - but those are like .... well - I guess better than a seashell 

3 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

The Klipsch 2.1 speakers have wall mounts that are available.  If you want something that can get extremely loud and has a really nice woofer, they will get the trick done.

I have the 5.1 Ultra set, which is no longer made, and they will rattle the walls.  Had the 2.1 before that, and they were very nice.

I used to have the Klipsch 5.1 Ultra - man those things were awesome PC speakers for gaming.
I had to get rid of them because, at the time, I was living in an apartment and any time I tried to enjoy them - neighbors would complain

21 hours ago, compl3x said:

It's worth noting that if you simply want to "rattle the walls" and annoy your neighbours, almost anything with a woofer and amp will do. I think you can even buy those el cheapo amps on eBay and connect some speakers, a woofer and go nuts.

The quality would leave a lot to be desired, though.

Seeing as I was referring to Klipsch speakers, they aren't just a cheapo speaker with poor quality.  My point was that they have excellent all-around sound.  

Ever listen to crystal clear speakers that have absolutely no bass response?   They are quite disappointing...

If you're going to spend a decent budget on speakers, get something that packs a good amount of power.