I just ordered a GTX 460, But realise i need a 4 to 6 pin adapter.

Last night, I ordered a Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 Gigabyte OC edition. Then i realise that by looking at images there is two 6 pin inserts. My power supply has two four pin adapters which i assume you can hook in to an ADAPTER, but i don't understand how this works. Am i supposed to buy two seperate adapters one for each 4 pin plug or something? Can someone help me make sense of this?

Is this the powersupply? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817163075

The specs list that it has 1, 6 pin PCIe connector. If that is true, you would only need 1 adapter.

If you have 0, 6 pin PCIe connectors on the powersupply, you would need TWO of those adapters, which would give you TWO 6 pin PCIe connectors for the GPU.

Doesn't look like your power supply will work.

Specs show:  Two (2) large Molex 4-pin power connectors

IIRC, it takes 2x 4pin Molex to make 1 single 6 Pin via an adapter.

BTW why the heck is that power supply $279, and why has anyone bought it (shows 21 sold) It's worth about $30

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, benjamine6 said:

Last night, I ordered a Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 Gigabyte OC edition. Then i realise that by looking at images there is two 6 pin inserts. My power supply has two four pin adapters which i assume you can hook in to an ADAPTER, but i don't understand how this works. Am i supposed to buy two seperate adapters one for each 4 pin plug or something? Can someone help me make sense of this?

Just curious.... how much did you pay for this card?  Was it new or used?

The GTX 460 is kinda old at this point in time... and it looks like a 750ti would be much faster and more power efficient.  And it's only around $125 new.

50 minutes ago, Michael Scrip said:

The GTX 460 is kinda old at this point in time... and it looks like a 750ti would be much faster and more power efficient.  And it's only around $125 new.

460 GTX's on Ebay are only going for like $40 so I hope he got a deal.

1 minute ago, xendrome said:

460 GTX's on Ebay are only going for like $40 so I hope he got a deal.

I hope he got a deal too.  It's still an old card though... I wonder what other newer GTXs are going for on Ebay?

You can't just look at the dollar amount... you also have to consider what you're getting for that money.

Let's say the GTX 460 was $40... but you could get a much better card for $60.  Wouldn't it make more sense to pay a little more?

2 minutes ago, Michael Scrip said:

I hope he got a deal too.  It's still an old card though... I wonder what other newer GTXs are going for on Ebay?

You can't just look at the dollar amount... you also have to consider what you're getting for that money.

Let's say the GTX 460 was $40... but you could get a much better card for $60.  Wouldn't it make more sense to pay a little more?

Yeah of course, I would have never bought a GTX 460, I would have gotten something newer, and more power efficent

1 hour ago, Michael Scrip said:

This ^. I've even seen the GTX 950 on sale at Amazon for $119.

47 minutes ago, JHBrown said:

This ^. I've even seen the GTX 950 on sale at Amazon for $119.

And it would perform far better and use a fraction of the power too!

Not to mention it will support newer technologies the 460 can't...