Microsoft Enabling Cross-Network Play, Not Only Between Xbox One and Windows 10, but Other Networks As Well

I first heard about this here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/4adgdq/yes_xbox_one_crossnetwork_play_is_really_happening/

But someone in the comments linked to this post on Microsoft's site:

Cross-Network Play
First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well. This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

Of course, it’s up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We’re thrilled to confirm that Psyonix’s Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well.

http://news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc/

I can honestly say I thought this would never happen.  Never say never I guess.

I just made a post about it on the Rocket League Xbox Topic. It seems to be one of the games that's getting it. Initially with Xbox and PC (guessing Windows 10) and other networks to come. 

Source

This will definitely keep those multiplayer games alive longer and is an exciting prospect for future games! And I guess it won't just be Microsoft. I wonder if Sony will allow cross network play too. 

The thing is, inter ecosystem communication sucks balls. Just look at how Street Fighter 5 is setup between the PC and the PS4, it's horrible and the only thing it really does is enlarging the player pool.

Halo 2 Vista wasn't cross platfom BTW, Shadowrun was.

4 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

They tried this before, and a lot of the console players quit in a rage because it was not fair. I think it was with Halo 2.

I was wondering about this too. I guess it's not really limited to just FPSs so plenty of other games will benefit too. May be with some good team balancing they can split the PC players amongst the console folk to keep things even ;)

OK so MS have given the option to allow a developer for cross play - the obvious thing here is I would assume Sony would need to implement a similar feature there side before a developer could allow Xbox to PS play?

1 minute ago, Draconian Guppy said:

I wonder if this will be limited to microsoft specific IPs. eg not EA(sport games)

Given Rocket League is one of the first to benefit - I don't see how it can be?

Just now, Skiver said:

Given Rocket League is one of the first to benefit - I don't see how it can be?

Ah ignore my comment I didnt read properly.

Great announcement, but as always with big changes like this I'll wait to see the end results.

Only title I've ever played cross-play that I'm aware of is FF14 (PC/PS4). If it works well, no downsides as user-pool increases. If it forces end users to use a specific controller, or any other archaic daft restrictions then meh.

Personally I'm more interested in more cross-buy support, console userbases for online titles are always high as it is.

On 3/14/2016 at 11:49 AM, Audioboxer said:

Great announcement, but as always with big changes like this I'll wait to see the end results.

Only title I've ever played cross-play that I'm aware of is FF14 (PC/PS4). If it works well, no downsides as user-pool increases. If it forces end users to use a specific controller, or any other archaic daft restrictions then meh.

Personally I'm more interested in more cross-buy support, console userbases for online titles are always high as it is.

I remember playing FFXI Online on my Xbox 360 and was connected to PC and PS2 gamers. Now that is some old school memories.

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Circaflex said:

They tried this before, and a lot of the console players quit in a rage because it was not fair. I think it was with Halo 2.

Games for Windows?

On Monday, March 14, 2016 at 11:16 AM, President Devil said:

Not according to Microsoft. http://news.microsoft.com/2007/03/14/microsoft-unites-xbox-and-pc-gamers-with-debut-of-games-for-windows-live/

On 3/14/2016 at 9:16 AM, President Devil said:

The thing is, inter ecosystem communication sucks balls. Just look at how Street Fighter 5 is setup between the PC and the PS4, it's horrible and the only thing it really does is enlarging the player pool.

Halo 2 was definitely cross platform, I played it that way.

1 minute ago, Ian W said:

Yea, good ole Games for Windows. What a pain in the ass that was.

32 minutes ago, Ian W said:

30 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Halo 2 was not cross-platform play. Live support was for Achievements and the GFWL Guide. Shadowrun was the first cross-platform multiplayer game on Vista / 360. The article you quoted even specifies:

Then, launching in June, “Shadowrun™” will for the first time connect Windows gamers with Xbox 360™ players in cross-platform matches using a single service. “UNO®,” releasing later in 2007, will also support cross-platform play between Windows and Xbox 360.

Will I be Matchmade with Halo 2 Xbox players who have more than two years head start?

No, as the question indicates, the gulf (more than two years) between the launch of Halo 2 on Xbox and Halo 2 on PC means that a level playing field would be impossible. Add to that the fact that both versions have their controls and aiming system balanced and tuned for that system's abilities and you would have a lopsided situation at best. Halo 2 Xbox players will continue to play against Xbox and Xbox 360 players, and Halo 2 PC players will play against other PC players. Although we will support other control methods, including joystick vs. mouse, the player will always have the choice, so if he feels confident he can beat a mouse-player online, that’s his prerogative. We won’t be forcing him.

A game like Shadowrun was built from the ground up to run on both platforms with finely balanced cross-platform gameplay. We don’t have that luxury, and instead intend to make the Vista version of Halo 2 the best it can be. Add to that the fact that we will have new maps built specifically for the Vista version and a map editor, and cross-platform matchmaking becomes even more complex and less realistic.

We're taking the development of Halo 2 for Windows Vista very seriously and want to ensure the best possible experience for everyone.

Actually, we promise to have some very cool insider development stuff from the Halo 2 Vista team coming up soon.

https://web.archive.org/web/20061020173752/http://www.bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?link=updatemay262k7

5 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Halo 2 was not cross-platform play. Live support was for Achievements and the GFWL Guide. Shadowrun was the first cross-platform multiplayer game on Vista / 360. The article you quoted even specifies:

Interesting, I know for a fact I played it cross platform though. I am going to dig into this some more.

It seems this feature was only ever in beta phase and they scrapped it. Guess I was playing through the beta of it.

Just now, Circaflex said:

Interesting, I know for a fact I played it cross platform though. I am going to dig into this some more.

Trust me, you didn't :p Read the quote from Bungie in my amendment.

5 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

My apologies for going on, but Microsoft certainly had good intentions by providing a central location for games installed on a PC, making the PC game packaging similar to console games, introducing the Windows Experience Index to simplify product requirements for consumers and an installation experience typically observed with game consoles, and finally by enabling Xbox 360 peripheral compatibility with Windows. As an example, one could even play Minesweeper on a PC with a Xbox 360 controller!

But it was so poorly executed.

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

Halo 2 was not cross-platform play. Live support was for Achievements and using the desktop version of the Guide. Shadowrun was the first cross-platform multiplayer game on Vista / 360.

I see. The press release states that Shadowrun was the first title to support this feature. It is a shame that so many games were not cross-platform compatible.

Sony Responds to Microsoft’s Invite to Connect Xbox One and PS4 Networks

PSN custodian doesn't directly acknowledge Microsoft’s open invitation, but suggests it is open-minded to partnerships.

by Rob Crossley on March 15, 2016

Sony has issued an encouraging but indecisive response to Microsoft’s invitation to unite the online networks of PlayStation 4 and Xbox One within certain games.

On Monday Microsoft publicly invited other platform holders to allow the same games to be played online across different console networks. Such an unprecedented move, if enacted, could bring an end to more than a decade of segregation between the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live.

Sony’s response, issued one day later to GameSpot, suggests the market-leading platform holder remains open-minded about cross-console play but stopped short of discussing a deal with Xbox Live.

"PlayStation has been supporting cross-platform play between PC on several software titles starting with Final Fantasy 11 on PS2 and PC back in 2002,” reads the statement from the corporation.

“We would be happy to have the conversation with any publishers or developers who are interested in cross platform play."

Sony's response was to a direct question about whether it would be interested in working with Microsoft.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-responds-to-microsofts-invite-to-connect-xbox/1100-6435688/

8 hours ago, Ian W said:

H2V did not have cross platform multiplayer (I know because I have the full 1000 achievement points). It had a different modified engine that was incompatible with the original Xbox version. Anybody claiming otherwise is lying, sorry.

• 2 months later...

Today's the day, there will be a patch rolling out today to enable Cross-Play between Steam and Xbox One users. 

Source

13 hours ago, Andrew said:

For Rocket League, for those that haven't clicked the URL :p

you know what I thought I'd posted in Rocket League topic! Apologies