My Zune battery exploded

So this happened not too long ago.

It was sitting on the desk and there was a popping noise I didn't place at first.  Found it shortly afterwards in that condition.  It was not even charged at the time

First problem with it ends up being it's last... It was a good run.

zune.jpg

7 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

What is that silver bag looking thing?

That is the battery that exploded.  Nothing appeared to leak out. All of the exploded battery matter is still in the silver bag.  It feels firm.

with those batteries do you have to go through some sort of hazmat scenario to dispose of that battery? looks like a bag of popped popcorn

33 minutes ago, conna said:

That is the battery that exploded.  Nothing appeared to leak out. All of the exploded battery matter is still in the silver bag. 

A rather anticlimactic 'explosion'. Actually good to see it behave that way under the circumstances. (Y)

• Like 2

the battery in my old blackberry storm did that too!   I gave it to the guy at work that takes care of the old laptop batteries and stuff so he could dispose of it.

i was so tempted to pop it open tho.....

My PSP battery did that, too. Exactly like that, it just bulged. Broke the battery plastic casing. Replacement battery was only $3 on eBay...

22 hours ago, Active. said:

A rather anticlimactic 'explosion'. Actually good to see it behave that way under the circumstances. (Y)

It hasn't exploded, it has bulged, or swelled. Sensationalism at its best :)

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

Sorry to hear about your Zune's death, but at least it made you a pillow before it left. :)

Air bag! :laugh:

2 hours ago, Eric said:

Sorry to hear about your Zune's death, but at least it made you a pillow before it left. :)

That's a good way of looking at the situation ;)

On 01 May 2016 at 9:44 PM, Eric said:

It probably isn't dead. Just replace the battery, but check for leakage, because it may have seeped. The battery has swelled because of a buildup of too much gas caused during charging. Like a car battery, all batteries produce it (except it is NOT hydrogen!), like we do in farts, except batteries in consumer equipment rarely have vents for it to escape.

Swelling normally means too much gas is being produced, because of overcharging, faulty regulation circuitry, or faulty battery. Explosions are rare, thankfully :)

If you DO replace the battery, PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T buy a cheap one off eBay. Spend the extra and get a genuine one from Microsoft.