Airport Extreme - Good time to buy?

Currently have an ASUS AC88 router. Router is pretty good, but I get a lot of disconnects with all my IOS devices, my iMac will loose connection when in sleep and connecting to 5GHz.

I am wondering, is now a good time to buy an Airport Extreme and try that out instead? I am not sure what the current generation is of it, just that it's $199.

If you have issues with that router you'll have issues with the AirPort router unless it's a matter of misconfiguration. I've got an RC-87 (older model) and it works fine with two MacBooks, two iMacs, an iPhone and an iPad.

I have a different view, if your a apple shop with lots of apple device, then sure go with apple as your router.  Apple is notorious for not playing nice with others and having issues with other devices.  Should they all work and play nice together sure.  I don't use apple and have no issues with apple devices.

Then again I don't have a lot of apple, ipad and couple of phones.  And use unifi for my wifi..

But if your a apple fan, and your in the mood too purchase then sure why not go with apple router - if you then have issues atleast you only have company to blame and they can not point fingers at each other ;)