Audio from Youtube

Question

As daft as it sounds what is the best way to get Audio from a Youtube clip? 

I have tried the VLC convert method people talk about and that seems too easy.

Anyone help? It would be greatly appreciated! 

14 answers to this question

I use FlashGot Firefox extension to download the video and then MiroVideoConverter (Mac) to convert the audio stream to an MP3. There are probably better ways, but that works for me.

• Like 1

I have tried the VLC convert method people talk about and that seems too easy.

I'm not sure that I follow. You used the VLC method and were able to get hold of the audio, but because it seems too easy you want a method that's...more difficult?

Or are you assuming that because the VLC method is so easy it must be degrading the quality of the audio?

I've stopped taking audio from youtube, but if I come across a clip I may use downloadhelper to get hold of the video. From there you could run it through a program to strip out just the audio. Would that be complicated enough for you? ;)

Yeah they are all well dodgy, They expect you to install some spyware laden crap to get the "audio" 

Well, just so you know, all you have to do is uncheck the "accelerator" when it gives you the link to download the MP3 and you get an MP3 file.  Hopefully that makes it complicated enough since VLC is too easy. ;)

i use Fiddler to get the http video request header, then compose my own http request with this header for the whole video. once its downloaded, its as easy as demuxing with a wide selection of A/V manipulation software. some videos stream the audio separately, so you can just grab it then put it in an appropriate container.

virtualdub? I used this to extract audio from a tech webinar to listen to on the trip since the "video" was just a logo and a guy's face and I wanted to be more space effiecient on my phone.

I use Youtube-dl. Its a really good open-source and crap free command line downloader for youtube (and other sites). You can choose to download audio only streams like so

+1 YouTube-DL does the job perfectly and will let you pick both the video and audio quality.