Considering a new rig, need advice

My current configuration:

16GB DDR3 RAM

GTX 770

AMD FX Black Edition 8350

So far I've had very few if not no issues with this setup. But some of the things I've wondered about doing are as follows:

1. Switching to a Micro ATX Case

2. Closed Loop Cooling systems

3. Switching to an Intel processor

In regards to the first, I feel it would be quite nice to have a smaller case. Would make it easier to transport if I wanted to take it with me and could be placed in more locations. Also, I am curious if a smaller board comes with any performance gains. Less distance and all that (not by much, though).

Second point, I would like to test out these cooling systems but I've always wondered if they are in fact cooler. And if there are any similar solutions for GPU's ? If I can quite down my PC as much as possible that would be great, as a quieter room means quieter speakers, etc (and I live in an apartment so I like to be as quiet as possible). The trouble is I tend to buy a new CPU if I ever remove the heatsink (since 9/10 the processor comes of with the heatsink). So that brings me to point three.

If the above is the case, would it pay to switch from AMD to Intel. I know many people swear by Intel for its power but the price is quite an off-putter to someone who has yet to run into any issues with his Piledriver CPU. I do know one thing though, and that's Intel CPU's currently run a little cooler. Cooler means less work keeping it cool and thus less noise.

Lastly... I've taken a look at DDR4 motherboards. Are those worth it yet? Or should I avoid those till the cost comes down?

Anyways, with the above questions factored in I'm wondering what it might cost to build up a new gaming rig. Or if I even need to. Considered getting dual 770's or just bumping up to a 970 but I'm always a bit apprehensive to do either when things are working pretty good right now.

PS.

As for what I do on my system, I mostly play games. Such as the following:

1. Skyrim (upwards of 80 mods all focusing on improved textures/environmental art and effects/realism)

2. Strategy Games (I guess I'll drop League in here, with things like Sins of a Solar Empire, Civilization, etc)

3. Shooters (not much anymore though)

A smaller board would be faster but not fast enough to really make a difference. If you're going to get a higher model, newer board that is smaller than your current one, then it will make a difference.

If quiet is what you're going for, don't get a liquid cooling system as those are louder than fans, but generally they will be cooler.

As for fans, the stock Intel cooler is one of the quietest available and buying an aftermarket cooler isn't really worth it because they are just marginally better.

I would really just get Intel for the fan. A 4790K would be a good upgrade from where you are now. There's a Microcenter in Tustin, CA, which is about 8 miles from Irvine, and you can get a lot better price from there.

DDR3 is fine really, and DDR4 is an improvement, but it will cost a lot to bump up your motherboard, and your CPU. Not to mention the added cost of DDR4.

If you can afford it, I would definitely recommend a 970 for a graphics card upgrade.

A smaller board would be faster but not fast enough to really make a difference. If you're going to get a higher model, newer board that is smaller than your current one, then it will make a difference.

If quiet is what you're going for, don't get a liquid cooling system as those are louder than fans, but generally they will be cooler.

As for fans, the stock Intel cooler is one of the quietest available and buying an aftermarket cooler isn't really worth it because they are just marginally better.

I would really just get Intel for the fan. A 4790K would be a good upgrade from where you are now. There's a Microcenter in Tustin, CA, which is about 8 miles from Irvine, and you can get a lot better price from there.

DDR3 is fine really, and DDR4 is an improvement, but it will cost a lot to bump up your motherboard, and your CPU. Not to mention the added cost of DDR4.

If you can afford it, I would definitely recommend a 970 for a graphics card upgrade.

False, the size of your board does not make your system faster or slower.

False again, like fanned heatsinks, you can quiet it down easily.

DDR4 is not an improvement, change is very minimalistic.

What's your budget? $1,000 should build you a great system.

Budget is probably within the $800 - $1200 range, would like to not spend too much if I can get away with it. I'm not really in need of a new system, but would like to build as best I can to last a while.

Sounds like you don't actually need to upgrade. I run a GTX 760 and I'm not upgrading until at least AMD R9 300 series. Anyway, that's yours to decide.

Some air coolers for video cards and CPUs are very quiet. Some of them actually turn off when not under heavy load; you can't really get more quiet than that. Water cooling systems must minimally keep the pump active at all times because the heatsink is not in direct contact with the processor; in addition there are still fans, and they're usually installed on a case vent which makes them more audible. Water coolers aren't for silence, they're for "extreme" performance (and even then it's largely a gimmick, actual extreme overclockers use liquid nitrogen). 

MicroATX: not much point downsizing if the PC sits under your desk, plenty of room there usually. There's a lot more choice in ATX motherboards and mid-sized towers.

DDR4: avoid until cost comes down. The performance increase is generally negligible for now (will get better over time), the point is largely increased maximum capacity.

[off-topic comments removed - Andre S.]

Budget is probably within the $800 - $1200 range, would like to not spend too much if I can get away with it. I'm not really in need of a new system, but would like to build as best I can to last a while.

What do you usually do on your computer? Any specific games/programs you would want to run?

I'd say just get a new video card. Yes I prefer Intel and they do use less power, while at the same time performing better, but your processor is still pretty decent.

If you have the extra money, why not. I would NOT get DDR4, yet. I just built an i7 rig for work and wanted to get the latest and greatest, but dropped back a notch or two and got the fastest non-Extreme i7 that still used DDR3. I think I spent about $650 on the processor, motherboard, PSU, case and RAM. Basically, you could spend $350 on a video card and be right at $1000. I got some discounts by bundling at MicroCenter, and it was tax-free since it was a work machine and I work at a school. You can probably get the same or so shopping online, though.

My board even supports SLI, so you don't have to spend a ton to future proof it. My gaming machine at home is an 3rd-gen i5 and a Radeon 7870. Love it and it plays most games on High/Very High at 1920x1080. I'm waiting on more gen of video cards before I think about upgrading, if I even need to.

It looks like your processor is on par with mine, so you really should move to an i7 if you REALLY want to upgrade. Moving to an i5, you probably wouldn't see much of a gain.

I'd say just get a new video card. Yes I prefer Intel and they do use less power, while at the same time performing better, but your processor is still pretty decent.

If you have the extra money, why not. I would NOT get DDR4, yet. I just built an i7 rig for work and wanted to get the latest and greatest, but dropped back a notch or two and got the fastest non-Extreme i7 that still used DDR3. I think I spent about $650 on the processor, motherboard, PSU, case and RAM. Basically, you could spend $350 on a video card and be right at $1000. I got some discounts by bundling at MicroCenter, and it was tax-free since it was a work machine and I work at a school. You can probably get the same or so shopping online, though.

My board even supports SLI, so you don't have to spend a ton to future proof it. My gaming machine at home is an 3rd-gen i5 and a Radeon 7870. Love it and it plays most games on High/Very High at 1920x1080. I'm waiting on more gen of video cards before I think about upgrading, if I even need to.

It looks like your processor is on par with mine, so you really should move to an i7 if you REALLY want to upgrade. Moving to an i5, you probably wouldn't see much of a gain.

Yeah, I kind of figured I'd not need to upgrade seeing as I've had little issue with my current build. I guess the right thing to do would be to wait for some newer lines of processors/gpu's to release and then do a bigger upgrade.

I've always been concerned with the sli stuff mostly because I've heard/know you need to have the same card. I'm not sure to what degree 'the same' is. Just make, series, etc?

Maybe that's the solution, just buy another GTX 770 :/

You used to have the exact same card, but not anymore. I don't follow it myself. I do know that you're limited by your slowest card, so you always want to get close or higher model, but not sure how high you can go.

You'd be better off selling what you have and buying a newer, faster one, IMHO.

GPU would be the only thing I would upgrade in your case, but if your content, then wait. The newer Intel chips will be out soon and the GPU makers should have something out before too long.