Ruby Gems on OS X

Does anyone know the proper way to use Ruby Gems on OS X? I read that using the system ruby is not recommended as it requires sudo and to use something like rvm, well I already have run sudo gem update and sudo gem update --system on my Mac which has updated the gems that was shipped with OS X and have had no issues with doing that?

Any reason not to use the system ruby and that I shouldn't have updated or touched the system gems?

Edit: I actually am new to ruby and want to use it for cocoapods and also look into ruby web development in near future so looking for a way to get started really (should i revert the system ruby back to default or just leave it as it is updated now?)

Thanks.

It's best not to update the system ruby and leave that to apple as its for the system use and apps may rely on that certain version etc.

Follow this guide dude with rbenv to manage ruby: https://gorails.com/setup/osx/10.10-yosemite

Dead straight forward to do and you dont have to mess with system ruby and have the latest then.