Can't detect USB Devices - Driver.cab missing?

Hi everyone.

Today i needed my MP3 player, tried to connect it to the USB port and it doesn't detect the MP3, tried with a Pen Drive same thing, also i tried in all USB ports and nothing.

I have all the drivers updated, including all Windows Updates.

I think the problem is that the Driver.cab is missing, because i'm using a custom Windows version i made with vLite (No media center and useless extras)

Strangely my Modem and my Pen Drive which i am using for Ready Boost are detected.

Oh yes, and i got this error when the device stops searching for new drivers.

Description:

Windows detected a new device attached to your computer, but could not find the driver software it needs to make the device usable. Each device manufacturer typically includes driver software of a CD that comes with the device, or as a download from its website. The hardware ID of your device is STORAGE\Volume.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: PnPDriverNotFound

Architecture: x86

Hardware Id: STORAGE\Volume

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1

Locale ID: 1033

I think it's Driver.cab because i think i removed it with vLite, since i included only the basic drivers for my system.

Is there any way to restore the Driver.cab in Windows Vista from the original DVD? or how can i fix this?

Thank you. :)

Vista does NOT use the DRIVER.CAB system. It works by using driver packages, that are stored in an indexed database. These are stored here: "\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository"

Anyway, your problem is still probably due to you using vLite. To not find the driver for "STORAGE\Volume" means your computer is VERY sick. For example, all storage devices (including Hard Drives) install that driver.

Search your system for VOLUME.INF - that's the file needs to fix the problem.

However, try manually setting the device, listed in the USB Controllers section of Device Manager, to use the Generic USB Mass Storage device driver, in the update driver wizard.

Edited by pjak

Ah, another problem that can be safely blamed on someone using vLite without knowing what they're doing.

You're going to have to either get the proper files off of another computer (If you can cobble them all together), or expand the .wim file off of the original Vista DVD, and poke through until you find them.