Ubuntu install stops at 85%

Hey all, i'm trying to install uBuntu on my folks laptop, windows just isnt working for them anymore because of all the Spyware and whatnot.

Anyway, the system only has 256MB of RAM and 32MB of that goes to graphics so booting off the Live CD fails, anyway, my next idea was to download the Alternate version with the text based installer, I figured that once uBuntu was installed it could just use Swap memory to make up for the lack of memory.

So the installer takes its time but does finally get there... 85%.. it installs something called Tomboy and now all i've got is a message saying "Installed Tomboy" and a hard drive twitch every three of four minutes. i've tried starting the installer multiple times with the same result, i've ran full memory and hard drive diagnostics and can safely say that the system is 100% healthy.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas?

I know i'm ment to post a list of specifications but the best I can do is...

AMD Athlon XP 2000+

256MB SDRAM

20GB PATA Hard Drive

DVD-ROM/CD-RW Drive

Thanks guys

lmao, bite me.

Now I cannot get the damned thing to keep a wireless connection for more than five minutes... I'm thinking, get a mac for them :p

All I'm gonna say about your wifi is that (a) mine worked out of the box BUT it would drop out like you say, so (b) I finished up installing ndiswrapper (and ndisgtk to make it extra easy on me) and just using the Windows driver AND now it never drops. :D