P5N-E SLI Problems

Hello Neowin!

Ive just had the upgrades for my pc deliverd:

Asus P5N-E SLI 650i

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500

Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory

Ive since found the P5N-E is very picky with ram, when i have my ram in dual channel mode (both sticks in the yellow slots) its impossible to install Vista or even get it to boot up without giving me a random bsod, yet when i put the ram in slots 1 and 2 (yellow and black) everything seams to work fine.

Im wondering if anyone can help me out?

As this seams to be a ram problem ive included a photo of the ram settings in the bios:

dscf8082ix8.th.jpg

Thanks for the links Radish,

I manually set the ram to 4 4 4 - 12 that didnt work but then i sent it again and then raised the memory voltage to 2.178 and the north bridge voltage to 1.563.

Vista now boots! i have no idea if that voltage is too high? i just copied the settings from some one on the Asus forums.

The rams rating is 4.8 in vista, does that sound right for the ram i have? it seams a little low to me.. everything else is rated over 5.0

4.8 is far far to low for 2gbs of high end ram, should be scoring 5.9 so something defo isnt quite rite here. Personally I think you should send the motherboard back as ebuyer always give full refunds, and get a P5B or P5K.

Ive taken a few photos of the settings in my bios, can anyone see anything that i might have set incorrectly to make the rams rating so poor?

dscf8083sl9.jpg

dscf8085gh4.jpg

dscf8086xu8.jpg

dscf8087xo8.jpg

dscf8088ma5.jpg

I was google'ing for vista ratings for the ram i have and this guy gets 5.9 (score screenie)

I really dont want to send the motherboard and ram back but its looking like thats my only option.

Ive been messing about in the Bios, when i overclockd the processor to 3.0ghz the rams rating went up to 5.6 even though as far as i can tell i didnt touch any settings to do with the ram.

A friend says the bus speeds could be the problem.. im kinda stuck tho, im sure i must be missing something pritty obvious.