My Q9650 Temps

Hey all.

What are these temps looking like for my new Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 45nm CPU (E0 stepping?). I have 5 case fans, and for CPU cooling am using a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme with 50CFM 120mm fan. The TIM I've used is AS5 (which has not yet had the 200 hours documented break-in period).

The CPU is running at stock voltages and stock frequency.

Also after much delibration as to whether Coretemp is using the correct value for TJMAX for my CPU (as it reports 5C higher than Realtemp.. it appears that Coretemp is indeed correct. As Intel have disclosed that the TJMAX value for the 45nm Q9000 series of desktop CPUs is 100C.

IDLE:

post-50479-1224695268.jpg

LOAD:

post-50479-1224695282.jpg

For load temps, I was running Prime95 25 (so on all 4 cores) using the In-place large FFTs.

Thanks.

Thanks.

I must say, I thought they were a bit high myself judging by the fact that I'm using one of the best coolers available and the CPU at stock volts/speeds.

Set your CoreTemp to display temperatures as "distance to Tjunction maximum". This is because that value is the only real data that is provided by the CPU regarding your temperatures.

In theory, you can run your CPU at 1C distance from Tjunction max for an extended period of time, and if your CPU dies, Intel will honor their warranty.

Just in case you didn't know, Tjunction Max (different for each CPU) - Distance to Tjunction max = CPU Temperature

Just hit 60C running the Intel LINPACK stress test.

post-50479-1224705194.jpg

Thinking it might be a good idea for me to remount the Heatsink, problem is that requires Motherboard removal (again). Arrgh.

The question boils down to, given the fact that this is a 45nm E0, and I'm using an Ultra-120 Extreme with the CPU at stock settings, is 60C acceptable? (Given that under normal PC usage, it'd never hit 60C. Most I can get with Prime95 is 53C.

Just hit 60C running the Intel LINPACK stress test.

Thinking it might be a good idea for me to remount the Heatsink, problem is that requires Motherboard removal (again). Arrgh.

The question boils down to, given the fact that this is a 45nm E0, and I'm using an Ultra-120 Extreme with the CPU at stock settings, is 60C acceptable? (Given that under normal PC usage, it'd never hit 60C. Most I can get with Prime95 is 53C.

I'd say that was acceptable to be honest.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'd rather not remove the motherboard again if possible.

I guess my expectations with this cooler and the Q9650 were out of line.

Makes me wonder how hot this thing would get if I wanted to OC though.. as 60C is only 13C below the maximum thermal rating for the CPU.

Turned all my case fans down, still with Linkpack/IntelBurnTest running, and temps are peaking at 60C (haven't gone any higher than this).

So I guess OCing it is out of the question then? :(

Edited by Cytoned

I've had my Q6600 running at 70C for a few days when it was real hot outside. Never missed a beat. I really wouldn't worry about 60C. You're still 40C from the Tj Max.

I think those temps with your setup is decent, I don't really know if you can do a lot better, remounting it. I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. If it helps, as a small comparison:

I'm idle @ 42-44C (same tjmax) on my stock Q6600 - room temp is pretty cool, probably 19-20C. Cooled with a Scythe Ninja (2nd gen) and a Noctua fan with ULNA adapter (Arctic Ceramique), but I do have a Scythe Ultra-Kaze as an exhaust. I think I hit 70C or just below with Prime95. Too lazy to run it now but just trying to give you some assurance, as Raid 0 has. My temps are high imo, but I don't stress this PC.