winlogon.exe 0x500ff

The process C:\Windows\system32\winlogon.exe (MATT-PC) has initiated the power off of computer MATT-PC on behalf of user Matt-PC\Matt for the following reason: No title for this reason could be found

Reason Code: 0x500ff

Shutdown Type: power off

Comment:

My PC has recently been turning itself off and this is what the event viewer says is happening when it turns off. Does anyone know what this error is/how to fix it. I cant find anything on the Microsoft support site.

Thanks

• 8 months later...
I hope not. I cant find any info on it at all, anywhere. This thread ties in with another one i posted about my pc not booting or reseting. https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=560352

I dont really know whether its a hardware issue or something to do with the software.

Hi, first post here... just been looking into the same issue on a friends laptop - vista premium, all updates, ie 7 and firefox...

read your post earlier - this laptop was shutting vista down automatically on a few sites and whenever a download was attempted. I created a new account which creates a new profile and the problem does not exist. I probably won't look further oz I have already spent a couple of hours on things like java and flash updates, browser test sites etc. so will just create a new account and transfer data... hope this helps... Many blessings... Chris ) John 3:17

Update to last post. Before I gave up on the profile I added AVG and it found a worm i-worm.vb-tc I think. AVG deleted one instance which then allowed the original profile to download file from the internet successfully. I then ran a full a scan and it found several other instances which were dealt with. Laptop is fine now. Chris :)