Restore Vista boot manager

So, I installed Vista on my SATA drive.. got drivers installed and everything configured to my liking. I turn computer off and pull out my old IDE drive and get a boot disk failure on reboot.

I'm guessing Vista installed the bootmanager & co on the old drive since it was the master on the first IDE port.. is there any easy way to fix this or would it be easier just nuke the partition and reinstall Vista (this time with all other hdds disabled)?

So, I installed Vista on my SATA drive.. got drivers installed and everything configured to my liking. I turn computer off and pull out my old IDE drive and get a boot disk failure on reboot.

I'm guessing Vista installed the bootmanager & co on the old drive since it was the master on the first IDE port.. is there any easy way to fix this or would it be easier just nuke the partition and reinstall Vista (this time with all other hdds disabled)?

My suggestion is for you to boot from your Vista DVD and do a repair of the boot sector. It should then write it to the System drive.

How exactly do you do this? In xp you could boot into the recovery console and do fixboot and then fixmbr with the xp cd which would rewrite the xp boot sector. In Vista, I couldn't this functionality built in.

How exactly do you do this? In xp you could boot into the recovery console and do fixboot and then fixmbr with the xp cd which would rewrite the xp boot sector. In Vista, I couldn't this functionality built in.

From memory, when you get to the repair page on the boot from the Vista disk, you have the opportunity to instruct Vista to analyse your boot config and repair it.

insert your vista dvd, boot into it, system recovery, open command prompt and type

x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 C:

where x is your dvd drive where Vista was inserted and C: is a fixed drive, you don't have to change this.

insert your vista dvd, boot into it, system recovery, open command prompt and type

x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 C:

where x is your dvd drive where Vista was inserted and C: is a fixed drive, you don't have to change this.

Thanks. From the looks of it, that's the equivalent of the fixboot command. Anything for fixmbr?

Thanks. From the looks of it, that's the equivalent of the fixboot command. Anything for fixmbr?

Hi there, something I posted in another thread, I think it was Help Dual Booting XP & Vista This is for if you have to completely rewrite the BCD:

To repair MBR and rebuild BCD, ok so boot into the Windows Recovery Environment on the Windows Vista Media, select command prompt and type:

Bootrec /FixMbr

Bootrec /FixBoot

Bootrec /ScanOs

Bootrec /RebuildBcd

Restart the computer.

In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type boot\bootsect.exe /60 ALL,

copy the Bootmgr from the Vista media (which is on the root of the DVD) to the root of the active partition. eg Type xcopy bootmgr c:\

Restart the computer.

Hope this helps

Now lets say I only wanted to do the fixboot and fixmbr, would I only have to do the Bootrec /FixMbr and Bootrec /Fixboot or would I have to do both of those commands and also do the boot\bootsect.exe /60 ALL, and copy the bootmgr?

Hi there, something I posted in another thread, I think it was Help Dual Booting XP & Vista This is for if you have to completely rewrite the BCD:

To repair MBR and rebuild BCD, ok so boot into the Windows Recovery Environment on the Windows Vista Media, select command prompt and type:

Bootrec /FixMbr

Bootrec /FixBoot

Bootrec /ScanOs

Bootrec /RebuildBcd

Restart the computer.

In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type boot\bootsect.exe /60 ALL,

copy the Bootmgr from the Vista media (which is on the root of the DVD) to the root of the active partition. eg Type xcopy bootmgr c:\

Restart the computer.

Hope this helps

Hello,

I tried this and something strange happens. In the RE console once I type 'bootrec /rebuild BCD...I get a wrong command error.

Do I need to change directories? I can type bootrec /fixmbr but then the next commands don't work anymore......shall I start with ..../rebuild BCD?

It really bugs me that I have to leave my VISTA DVD in the drive for my PC to boot.

Thanks

Kai