Help with Uxtheme.dll

I recently uninstalled Style xp because it did not load my themes occasonally on some startups. So Then I downloaded about 3 uxtheme patchers for xp1 and tried installing them however none worked. I did it in safe mode and normal mode, but still no luck. Any advice?

I recently uninstalled Style xp because it did not load my themes occasonally on some startups. So Then I downloaded about 3 uxtheme patchers for xp1 and tried installing them however none worked. I did it in safe mode and normal mode, but still no luck. Any advice?

Ive have the same problem on my laptop and im running the hacked uxtheme (patcher from here i think)and stylexp ..

I dont have it on my big machines .. im not sure if i hacked the uxtheme.dll my self or used someones patcher

but im thinking im going to have to just copy the uxtheme from one of my big machines to my laptop to get rid of the problem ..

dam i also have the same dam problem on my compaq presario 2100 laptop. i tried the patch here provide in this thread and it doesnt work. does anyone have the uxtheme.dll for sp1 2600 where i can manually copie it??

:rolleyes: Here's how I ended up having to do it to one of my machines after trying all the other patchers and stuff that failed to produce results. Read on please.

How to patch the uxtheme.dll file in Windows XP Service Pack 1.

Original instructions by Eric Peter. Edited by Samxt to more directly apply to this post.

Want to use your themes on Service Pack 1? The solution is to patch the uxtheme.dll file. Follow along to learn how! Note - <enter> means to press the enter key on your keyboard.

1. Download the patched uxtheme.dll designed for service pack 1. (Attached)

2. Copy the uxtheme.dll file to the root of your c drive.

3. Find your bootable XP cd and stick in your CD drive. Your PC will need to be able to boot from a CD-ROM (most can).

4. Restart and let setup load from the CD, and when it asks you to press enter to continue installing windows, press R to go to the recovery console. Let that open, and press 1 to

select your windows install (if you have multiple installations, press the correct number for the install you want to patch). Type in your administrator password.

5. Type the following commands in order:

systemroot <enter>

cd system32 <enter>

cd dllcache <enter>

ren uxtheme.dll uxthemebak.bak <enter>

cd .. <enter>

ren uxtheme.dll uxtheme.bak <enter>

cd c:\ <enter>

copy c:\uxtheme.dll c:\windows\system32\uxtheme.dll <enter>

exit

6. Your computer will now restart, do NOT boot from the cd. Your visual styles should now be enabled.

7. IMPORTANT NOTE - If your system doesn't boot after following these steps, boot back into the recover console and type the following commands.

copy c:\windows\system32\uxtheme.bak c:\windows\system32\uxtheme.dll

exit

Windows will now boot, but there will be no visual styles.

Samxt

uxtheme.dll

problem fixed!

So what I did was download the uxtheme.dll file from that guy above. Then I made all hidden files visible and opened 2 explorer windows at the same time. In one of them, i had C:/windows/system32 and in the other c:/windows/system32/dllcache. I renamed the hacked dll into uxtheme.dll.bak and put it into the system 32 folder. In the dll cache folder i renamed the uxtheme.dll into uxtheme.dll.bak. in the system 32 folder i renamed the original uxtheme.dll into uxtheme.dll.old and renamed uxtheme.dll.back into uxtheme.dll and it asked me 2 questions, answers: cancel, yes. Then restarted and themes work for home edition of sp1 (OEM)