How to use the UXTheme Multi-Patcher

Don't know what it is?: Information/Download Here

Beginner's Guide:

1. Download the file from the link provided above

2. Extract the file to the desktop (or a place you will absolutely remember)

3. Reboot your machine, and hammer on the "F8" key after the inital-bios screen, you should see a menu popup.

4. Select "Safe Mode"

5. Click "Yes" to the dialog that will popup.

6. Look for "UXTheme Multi-Patcher (Neowin Edition) 1.01" on your desktop and Open it.

7. Click "Patch" and it will prompt you in a few seconds with a dialog box asking you to restart...

8. Wait at least 15-20 seconds before clicking "Restart"

9. Your machine will restart, let it boot into WindowsXP normally and give it another 15-20 seconds time to think about things after it loads the desktop.

10. Your done, if you don't know how to add themes, refer to "Adding Themes/Styles" below.

Regular Guide:

1. Download the archive (link above) and throw the file on your desktop.

2. Reboot, go into safe mode.

3. Run the file, wait 15-20 seconds after the dialog pops up asking you to restart...

4. Restart, load WindowsXP normally and enjoy the new world of Themes :)

Adding Themes/Styles

Any StyleXP compatible theme will work.

Put the *.Theme/*.Style file in the C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\ directory.

Then go into Display Properties and it should be under "Appearance" if the patcher worked correctly.

Theme Resources

ThemeXP.org

deviantART: Visual Styles

Neowin.net: Completed Visual Styles

GetSkinned.org: MS Styles

If you have critism/suggestions/whatever else (such as links to add), please just PM me!

Thanks for the sticky!

Edited by 1o9

I would like to make note that I made this guide as I've seen alot of people that are totally baffled on howto install the theme patcher.

Not to insult the experts at neowin of course ;)

Cool; the patch never did work for me, but I never thought to do it in Safe Mode. I've always just installed StyleXP and disabled it (StyleXP), leaving StyleXP's patch enabled.

Thanks!

I would like to make note that I made this guide as I've seen alot of people that are totally baffled on howto install the theme patcher.

Not to insult the experts at neowin of course ;)

Nice guide.

As for insulting anyone, nah. But as far as the question about patching UXtheme files etc with patches, alot of the users here dont do a good search and so thats why you get these threads all the time.

I honestly believe that one day a UXtheme thread should be sticky.

Edited by Davey

is this a definite change or there's an option to uninstal lthe changes this does ?

-----------------------

nevermind, it is, but then if i understand correctly, if i want to patch windows after having patched uxtheme, i need to unpatch that file first?

is this a definite change or there's an option to uninstal lthe changes this does ?

-----------------------

nevermind, it is, but then if i understand correctly, if i want to patch windows after having patched uxtheme, i need to unpatch that file first?

err, yes?

this patch works fine for me.. all i do is just run it in normal mode, reboot and i can use themes

Yeah,

Some people including me had to do it in Safe Mode. I'm not sure why this is but perhaps one of the neowin ubergeeks can explain.

Can't get this to work after doing a HP non-desuctive recovery.

Always get this error(see pic) in either normal or safe mode.

Tried the manual method but didn't work.

How can I work the patch?

[EDIT] Patched it using PatchXP and it worked!

Edited by iron2000