Loooong right click menu delay?

i don't know what i installed or what's going on but when i right click on any folder or file it takes 30 seconds for the menu to display. i though this was an old XP bug and i have all of the latest patches. i've uninstalled any recent software that i had installed over the past few days. i don't know what else to do or what could be causing this.

i've also checked all of my processes, performance, running applications, services, etc and nothing seems out of the ordinary. i ran spybot, checked for viruses and nothing...

ANY help or suggestions would be appreciated. this is driving me NUTS. :cry:

also, i doubt that these are related but maybe they are...there's something that keeps renaming the icons on my desktop. i changed the named from "My Network Places" to "Net" and "My Documents" to "Dox." every time i reboot the icons are changed back to their original name. any idea why?

i don't know what i installed or what's going on but when i right click on any folder or file it takes 30 seconds for the menu to display.  i though this was an old XP bug and i have all of the latest patches.  i've uninstalled any recent software that i had installed over the past few days.  i don't know what else to do or what could be causing this.

i've also checked all of my processes, performance, running applications, services, etc and nothing seems out of the ordinary. i ran spybot, checked for viruses and nothing...

ANY help or suggestions would be appreciated.  this is driving me NUTS.  :cry:

Did it just start yesterday? Because I've noticed the exact same thing, and its only been doign it since yesterday.

Its really annoying, I'm supprised to se someone else with the same prob.

I think it could be linked to Norton, because when I open a Word / Excel document, it takes ages to virus scan the document before opening it. I just downloaded a 3MB update for Norton 2003, but it still hasnt made any diff.

EDIT: I havent noticed any file renaming yet... but it could be only a matter or time.

I started having that happen to me today too, and it updated itself today or yesturday. I just started the reload process thinking it was some other software or something else i did to the comptuer to blow it up. I also had that same Document scanning problem on office 2000 . I have Norton 2003 on Windows 2000sp4....

Well now we know its not just XP, 2K is also affected. Must be a problem happening all over the place.

If its an XP update thats causing the problem (which I doubt, i havent updated in a while, and I have all the latest updates) then hopefully MS will release a patch to fix it. SO annoying when you need quick access to a document, takes 30 secs to right click, then another 30 secs to open.

this problem drove me nuts, and all i remember from it was that I had to format in the end. However, I believe i narowwed it down to the synapics touchpad driver on my laptop. I know other programs can cause this and on desktops too, but I just wanted to bring it up incase you might have that. I'd recommend you just format.

good luck

LOL I just formatted a week and a half ago, no way im doing it again, it takes me ages to set up my PC because of all the servers, web sites, etc that I have installed.

I find it very strange that 3 people on this board have gotten it over the last day. Perhaps its some new virus or somthing.

Thanks for the help though.

ugh. no way i want to format.

i think it just started a day or two ago. i noticed what seemed to be some slowness and i couldn't figure out why. then i noticed right clicking was taking REALLY long. it made me think it was something that is in the right click menu. i just installed winamp 5 so i was thinking maybe it had to do w/queueing mp3's w/the right click or "open with."

now that you mention it though norton 2003 gave me 2 popups in the past few days saying i had month left to renew and if i wanted to renew or continue. i'm uninstalling that sucker and will post again.

guess what? i uninstalled norton system works 2003 and after i rebooted when i right click on a file it comes up immediately.

it must've had something to do w/the ability to do a scan on files when you right click and possibly an issues w/the virus updates. whatever it was, i'm sick of norton. in the past, i've already uninstalled it from other machines and replaced it w/AVG. i'm no longer using it on any machine from now on.

Around dinner time, I had encountered the same problem as this...long delay menus. Yep, I had them too but solved by a format and reinstall using my unattended CD produced using the unattended CD guide around the net. It went well.

I am not sure what the cause was but I am ok with a clean installation.

ey people before going crazy with the format-o-rama why dont you try getting back in time using a restore point :huh: ?

see if it brings some results :rolleyes:

ey people before going crazy with the format-o-rama why dont you try getting back in time using a restore point :huh: ?

see if it brings some results :rolleyes:

Yeh i agree. The formats are a bit drastic.

Unless they were l337 and disabled System Restore which mind you is very customisable in relation to how much disk space it uses.

:p

But sounds to me like a bad vir definitions which they have done before, and quickly sorted it out by releasing a newer definition.

But then again cant tell cos no one is stating what definition they using and if they all using Norton products.

I was looking for a reason to format anyway, i had a couple of other issues unrelated to norton's and i wanted to repartiton. NAV gave me the excuse i was looking for. Of course, i hope when i reinstall it it dosent happen again.

I also use Norton 2003, and have the same issue in XP. Mind you, I've got a format long overdue... I was just attributing it to regular system bloat, but I've had this issue before and I think it may have to do with NAV scanning files in the background. Another symptom is that MS Office documents take very long to open because Office requests a virus scan on the file before opening. But the delay is much longer than it should be for a quick background NAV file scan.

My guess is that NAV is the culprit.

I get a similar problem on some slower Windows 2000 Machines (Celeron 600 MHz and 128 MB ram) on a new format, but it is only when someone right clicks the desktop. It is very strange.