Longhorn-style system tray clock

Here we have a basic Longhorn-style tray clock.

Version 0.5 ---> New Release! Version .75 , see later post. Download links are updated

LonghornClock, download here

long3.giflong1.giflong2.gif

Important Points!!:

**Run clockConfig.exe to select a skin, before you run LonghornClock

**Right-click the clock to make it disappear for 3 seconds, so you can access the real system clock and any of its functions.

**Double-click the clock to make it exit.

There are a few more points in Release Notes.txt in the zip file. Please look at that before you ask any questions.

It's using VB.NET as I couldn't get ClearType with VB6. As a result, it's a memory hog but leak-free and easy on the processor.

VERSION .75 had an integer overflow, how stupid of me. Now .751

Questions? Comments? Feature-Requests? Bugs? This is meant to be really basic. I don't really like the windows API...

-Suneet U.

LonghornClock_R2.1.zip

Edited by Thrawn

whoa, this is really cool. i like it. hopefully we'll get more support from the community.

also, i tried to make a skin for it, but it doesn't show up... is it coded in the config exe?

Not bad, but not compatible with all skins.

Instead of building a database of skins in the config,

you should find a way to make it self-modify based on the

currently applied theme.

gameguy: I think you were right, I fixed that real quick

Razorwing: You probably don't have the .NET framework 1.1 or above, which this uses

Also, the skinning thing should work for all themes, but the image needs to be a Windows .bmp . The skins aren't hard-coded or anything. As for making it self-modify... Humn, bitmap.FromResource() exists, I'll see if I have time.

Thanks

nasty memory hole in there that keeps sucking up mem over time.. the larger the refresh the bigger the drain..

yeah the "bitmap.FromResource()" might be a good idea ;)

Strange, that server is made of steel... We're on spring-break, mabey the network guy is home too.

Attached

As for the memory hole, the thing only uses like 9 variables, and they're set to "Nothing" most of the time. .NET just has a lot of overhead. But there's a bug when resuming the system from Standby or Hibernate, i'll fix that in ~48 as I have a stack of physics problems to solve.

LonghornClock.zip

you are a huge nerd!!!!! YOU MAKE GOOD CLOCKS! :D YOUR CLOCK IS USEFUL! :D :D

hahahha, just kidding about the nerd thing, all that joking aside, do you think it's possible to create a skin for LunaVX?

MikeCoz, it looked exactly like Longhorn's clock! :p

Mmm, I'm talking a litlte too far ahead here, possible to have other features? like.. alarm... or stuff like that.

gameguy: I think you were right, I fixed that real quick

Razorwing: You probably don't have the .NET framework 1.1 or above, which this uses

Also, the skinning thing should work for all themes, but the image needs to be a Windows .bmp . The skins aren't hard-coded or anything. As for making it self-modify... Humn, bitmap.FromResource() exists, I'll see if I have time.

Thanks

ummm soo where can I get it??

Here we have a basic Longhorn-style tray clock.

Version 0.5!

LonghornClock, download here

http://webdisk.berkeley.edu/~thrawn/long3.gif http://webdisk.berkeley.edu/~thrawn/long1.gif http://webdisk.berkeley.edu/~thrawn/long2.gif

Important Points!!:

**Run clockConfig.exe to select a skin, before you run LonghornClock

**Right-click the clock to make it disappear for 3 seconds, so you can access the real system clock and any of its functions.

**Double-click the clock to make it exit.

There are a few more points in Release Notes.txt in the zip file. Please look at that before you ask any questions.

It's using VB.NET as I couldn't get ClearType with VB6. As a result, it's a memory hog but leak-free and easy on the processor.

Questions? Comments? Feature-Requests? Bugs? This is meant to be really basic. I don't really like the windows API...

-Suneet U.

Hy

SuneetU

Thanks, thanks, thanks very for Longhorn clock is beatiful and works 100% on my XP SP2-v2.096 I am Very Happy

thanks again...

Nelsinho

Someone should ask for permission to copy his design and make it out of something else other then VB....you see....I'm on 56k and can't download The .nET Framework 1.1. It would take me two long and I don't have the time to do that.

It looks sexy. I love it. I hope to see it improve and grow.

13MB resources is too high. Can you shrink it down to 1-5MB with other languages like C or C++?

Please stop complaining about the memory usage. You have no idea how the .net framework manages memory. it reserves the memory until another app needs it then releases it.