MSG Plus! - update warning!

Question

FYI, When you install the automatically downloaded MSN Plus update (support for 6.2), it automatically installs a toolbar and some other kind(s) of spyware onto your computer. One was installed into the Program Files/Mp3Grid folder and another was installed into Documents and Settings/Local Data/Temp (Enable view hidden folders to view this folder).

So be careful when you try to update... and download it separately if possible, since the installer would probably have an option to disable the ad/spyware (unless Patchou has become greedier).

Edit: I was wrong :o. As long as you choose "I refuse, do not install the sponsor program" when the window that looks like an EULA agreement pops up, the adware/spyware will NOT install.

If you installed it with the sponsorship program already, follow this guide to remove it.

Also, feel free to flame me for my blunder (even Patchou agrees! do what your god says!). Hateful attention isn't that bad sometimes, especially when other people put a lot of effort into it :happy:.

Edited by Monkeh

I figured the same after I installed it...****ed me off.

If anyone wants I'll run InCTRL5 and then post everything the installation changes/adds to the system....registry, files, etc.

Anyone?

Please do so, I've manually deleted the files I could find and I'm running Spybot right now, but I'd like to remove every remaining piece if there are any left.

yeah um.. you have to agree to install the spyware.. thats what the "i agree" thing is for, you can refuse and still install msn plus

yeah um.. you have to agree to install the spyware.. thats what the "i agree" thing is for, you can refuse and still install msn plus

well no. there's no choice in the update vers

In the EULA, its explained that if you try to change your home or search or error pages that a toolbar will be installed "and shall remain there", etc.

Also that they will all be transmitted to C2 Media (hence tracking you).

Also here's the zip for you. Should contain everything that you need. Keep in mind, the F: drive is my main HDD on the report...in txt, HTML, and CSV for your enjoyment hehe ;)

plusinfo.zip

Edited by dotRoot

Also, a message for Patchou if you're reading this... f*ck you.

Agreed. God damn greedy idiots, both MSNPlus and DeadAIM were excellent pieces of software.. then their creators got greedy as hell.

No one forces you to use it. Would you work your ass off for free for some whiney, zitty, computer nerds? I wouldn?t.

Me and the millions of other people releasing under GPL and GNU would.

i dont knwo WHAT the **** you people are talking about.. i have used plus since it was first around, AGES ago, and i have yet to have adware put onto my computer.. i dont know what your peoples problem is, but you do realize its an OPTION to have or not have the adware?

post-12-1082784598.gif

Huh, how then, have I used Plus! for over two years, and have never had a problem with spyware?

You idiots really should quit spreading your FUD. Patchou has forsaken a lot to program Plus! (including risking his relationship with his significant other) for us, and release it for FREE, with the OPTION OF NOT INSTALLING SPYWARE. You ungrateful ###### better power off your computers, unplug them, and pull out your tin foil hats... Patchou? Greedy? That's complete bull****. So you n00bs, STFU.

You idiots really should quit spreading your FUD. Patchou has forsaken a lot to program Plus! (including risking his relationship with his significant other) for us, and release it for FREE, with the OPTION OF NOT INSTALLING SPYWARE. You ungrateful ###### better power off your computers, unplug them, and pull out your tin foil hats... Patchou? Greedy? That's complete bull****. So you n00bs, STFU.

Thats his choice, no one forced him to do that. He apparently liked MSGPlus more than girls, so he decided to keep at it... No one forced him to. It doesnt justify being so greedy as to add spyware to his excellent program. It's our choice to boycott it.

The developers of Kazaa put a lot of time and effort into it, and lots and lots of people yell at it for having spyware.

Hell, SPYWARE DEVELOPERS spend countless hours creating spyware that will efficiently monitor you and give you specifically targeted ads. Most spyware applications are more complex than MGSPlus. You don't see anyone praising spyware, do you?

Edited by HellBender

Hell, SPYWARE DEVELOPERS spend countless hours creating spyware that will efficiently monitor you and give you specifically targeted ads. Most spyware applications are more complex than MGSPlus. You don't see anyone praising spyware, do you?

Worst comparison ever.

You do realize that its NOT an option if you automatically upgrade, right?
Errr... the "auto update" just tells you when there's a new version and downloads it, the installation process is EXACTLY THE SAME whether you update it from the program or download it manually. And in BOTH manual and automatic setup you have to choose YES or NO to the sponsor. The only difference between auto and manual is that manual asks you for the desired path for Msgplus.

Please people, PLEASE, check the facts before talking about something you don't read.

Uninstalling Plus and reinstalling without the sponsor will solve it. Tried that? If not, well, it seems you were all too hurried to talk **** about someone who you don't know, whose software you've been using for years for free and for someone who asks you "Do you care if my software installs ads on your computer? If you do just don't install them. If you don't, you are paying me my living, thanks.".

If that's being greedy, well, 90% of the world population is ten times more greedy than him.

The developers of Kazaa put a lot of time and effort into it, and lots and lots of people yell at it for having spyware.
The people of Kazaa force you to install the spyware. Here, it's not even a default setting in the setup.
Most spyware applications are more complex than MGSPlus. You don't see anyone praising spyware, do you?
You don't see anyone wanting to install spyware do you? People install Plus because they want to. If something's forced on them, they don't care if it's complex or not. Plus' not forced on them, it's complex and great so that's why people get it. Those who can live with the ads install the sponsor, those who don't just choose No in the setup and forget about it, and those who don't read insult the developer countless times on random forums on the web without even rechecking their info.

Argh.

[edited to fix some grammar mistakes]

Edited by el22

you guy are acting like little kids......

for gods sake, there has been a sponcer program since version 2

get over it

mp3grid...

only a guess but..

Messenger Plus 3

:) hopefully thats a good guess.

when u use the upgrade thingy. i needs to download the files any way to give you the option, it dont install them :s

greedy...he gets like 2 cents for every download.....

when u have to pay like 9 dollars for win 95 :p

yes great comparison i no :p

your all surposed to be computer geniouses and you cant even take a little bit of ad ware on your pc's......