ViewSonic VP171B

After looking at various TFT on the market I settled for the ViewSonic VP171B.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATION.

spec.jpg

THE MONITOR.

The monitor arrived early morning in a nice little box.

1.jpg

WHAT YOU GET.

Inside the box is

+ ViewSonic VP171B TFT monitor (Duh!!)

+ Documentation & Software

3.jpg

+ 3 types of power cables (3pin, UK version not shown in picture)

2.jpg

+ 1 DVI (Digital) Cable & 1 VGA (Analogue) Cable

THE MONITOR.

I removed the monitor out of the protective plastic bag and the plastic film that protect the screen to reveal

4.jpg

You can increase height and tilt it

5.jpg

and you can also rotate it from landscape to portrait

6.jpg

at the back of the monitor you have cable holders

7.jpg

The connecter interface has a power switch, power connecter, digital connector and two analogue connectors and you can connect it to up to three computers as the same time.

8.jpg

The controls there are only five buttons, if you have it connected to multiple computer you can switch between the computers at the click on a button (button 2 would be the one)

9.jpg

INSTALLATION.

That's a matter of connecting the cables and your off, it's automatically detect but for the full functionality i downloaded the latest drivers from the ViewSonic website. The monitor runs at 60MHz.

13.jpg

Optimal resolution is 1280x1024

14.jpg

if set at 1024x768 personally i thought it looks horrible and you will get a message (you can disabled it)

10.jpg

11.jpg

The monitor is very bright and will require a bit of reduction in contract and brightness

12.jpg

CONCLUSION

This is one of the best TFT monitors on the market. I've had not ghosting when playing games like UT2004, FS2004, NFSU, Max Payne 1 & 2 or when watching DVD's. Windows XP looks even slicker :p with the bright colours and the use of Clear Type is sweet especially with ClearTweak.

The best feature of this monitor personally is the ability to switch between computer's at the touch of a button I had no dead pixel.

PRICE

VAT is included shipping costs vary.

Dabs UK - ?393.62

Overclcoker's UK - ?388.22

Savastore a.k.a. Watford Electronics - ?381.88

Edited by DJ Prem

you lucky b*stard. lol. that is probably the 17" LCD i'd choose if it could afford it. nice review.

price?

:p

priced added with direct links to the product

enjoy

Will you do me a favour (Using the Windows XP Theem Default Blue) go to my Music & My Pictures and tell me if you can clearly see the little image at bottom right side of the screen? Make sure you have 'Use Background Image For Each Folder Type' ticked. Can you see the image.. is it really hard to see? Or crytsal clear?

Its just i can barly see it on mine have to really REALLY strain to see it.

On my GF's CRT its really clear. Thats why i'm getting my TFT RMA'ed. Plus it flickeres.

Its just i can barly see it on mine have to really REALLY strain to see it.

On my GF's CRT its really clear. Thats why i'm getting my TFT RMA'ed. Plus it flickeres.

I see....what company is this?

sure, we welcome reviews from all members

I best get some decent batteries for my Minolta Digital Camera then ;) It eats batteries after like 3-4 shots in 1-4 minutes!

Should be getting a Creative Sound Blaster Auidigy 2 ZS & my current monitor RMA'd. I hope its a different model.

oh yeah,didnt notice :wacko:

but isnt that quite low?judging from the 60hz you can have on a CRT its quite uncomfortable...for me at least..

is it the same in LCDs or not?

:happy:

I don't think so - in CRT's the beam has to travel through the whole screen area and refresh rates are important(analogue signal). Whereas in LCD monitors it's all about individually switching pixels on and off so 60 Hz should be enough(digital signal). Am I right?

Yes, the VP171b is the same as the VP171s. Just one is silver and one is black.

I have the VP171s and I absolutely love it. I've had no ghosting in games and the image is so sharp and bright I dont know how I ever went with a CRT all those years. I'd definately recommend it to anyone, expensive but well worth it!

I don't think so - in CRT's the beam has to travel through the whole screen area and refresh rates are important(analogue signal). Whereas in LCD monitors it's all about individually switching pixels on and off so 60 Hz should be enough(digital signal). Am I right?

i dont know if its like that,if sb could give some more info or a url to read about these i d be grateful.

what you say is right tho the refresh rate is pixels going on and off on both occasions so i assume again that on an lcd or crt 60hz will be tiring.dont understand how it can be different,the pixels would still go on and off 60times per sec.

.. :rolleyes:

dont know.

Low refresh rates like 60Hz are uncomfortable on CRTs because their pixels require continuous scanning. On a CRT, the entire screen is rescanned (whether or not anything has changed) at that rate, which causes flicker. This is not the case on LCDs - once a pixel is "on" or "off", it doesn't need to be refreshed until its state changes. Therefore, LCDs have no flicker and the refresh rate is not a concern.