"UNBLOCK" Feature in XP SP2

Is there a registry key that disables the feature that blocks files downloaded from the internet from being run immediately?

looks like this:

unblock2.gif

i dont like to unblock it everytime i download something

unblock.gif

NOTE: for SP2 RC2

Is there a registry key that disables the feature that blocks files downloaded from the internet from being run immediately?

looks like this:

http://www.polyline-industries.com/unblock2.gif

i dont like to unblock it everytime i download something

http://www.polyline-industries.com/unblock.gif

NOTE: for SP2 RC2

You should see an option under Internet Explorer Tools/Options/Security/Internet Zone/Custom ---- scroll down --> Downloads / Automatic prompting for file downloads = disable + File download = enable ----

I think that should do it.

it doesnt work! my options are already like that but the "microsoft has blocked" thing is still there! perhaps there is a registry fix to this?

I would imagine .exe files will always bring up that prompt. There may be a registry setting, like the one that allows .exe attachments in Outlook 2003, but I don't know anything about it. Does the prompt happen with video files, or anything other than .exe files? (I have SP2, but I can't be bothered checking it on my computer)

How about Internet Options, Advanced tab, scroll all the way down and find "Check for signitures of downloaded programs" and uncheck.

That's a good point, I had an issue in the beginning where if a program wasn't signed then it failed to download - period and didn't even prompt to request acception.

• 4 weeks later...

iobilly is not asking about the security prompt that you get when you download a file from the Net. With XP SP2, you get the very same warning message, even when you open a file after saving it to your local drive!! The best technical explanation of this feature I've so far found is at

http://www.mcpmag.com/columns/print.asp?EditorialsID=716

Check what Bill Boswell writes in the section "Download Management" about Zone.Marking

Personally, I'm using Total Commander for years now, so I cannot care less... :D

please dont unblock it- its a good security measure to help you and your system.

Exactly...people moan because Windows is not secure enough and then when one little prompt is asked you complain because it protects your PC. Can you people stop being so:

1) Anally Retentive

2) Hypocritical

!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

well for me this security precaution microsoft added seems redundant to the systems i manage. users after a while will ignore these warnings.. and besides, the user base i support isnt really taking security into precaution, even given warnings.. so when he isnt sure about a file, he'll run to see what it is....

and also the systems i manage are always fully patched and have updated virus scanners. having that security precaution just adds redunduncy for me..

also, using the "always ask before opening this file?" will only disable the warning message for ONE FILE ONLY. i want to disable it SYSTEM WIDE, meaning windows will not enable this pop up message for ALL DOWNLOADED files.

Before you proceed with the hack, please make a backup of the registry keys.

Copy and paste the following into a .reg file, merge it into the registry, and then reboot for the changes to take effect.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Download]

"CheckExeSignatures"="no"

"RunInvalidSignatures"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy Objects\{11D31951-7848-48E3-89C2-6762AF05C427}User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Attachments]

"SaveZoneInformation"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Associations]

"LowRiskFileTypes"=".exe;.bat;.com;.cmd;.reg;.msi;.htm;.html;.gif;.bmp;.jpg;.avi;.mpg;.mpeg;.mov;.mp3;.m3u;.wav;"

Exactly...people moan because Windows is not secure enough and then when one little prompt is asked you complain because it protects your PC. Can you people stop being so:

1) Anally Retentive

2) Hypocritical

!!!!!!!!

Having more security doesn't also have to mean having less choice. What a thoughtful analysis you've made of the situation.