Program called ex

Just done msconfig and had a look at my startup files, program called ex?lore.exe loads up @ startup, anyone got any ideas what it is? spyware?

run ad-aware nothing found on system!!!

post-11-1092157497.gif

Edited by win2000b

yup uncheck it, restart, and run your spybot s&d and anti-virus programs and you shud be set ;)

I find Spybot S&D and Adware to work gr8 when using the 2 together, they both catch different things I noticed

Nothing comes up on a google search for this I would definately kill it.

If none of the suggested actions work I would start backing stuff up now and possibly reformat.

whoa that's one cool sig you got there.

david bowie?....am i right?

Yes its David Bowie
You know what iex?lore.exe is?

No... but I wouldn't reformat the hard drive because of it.

No... but I wouldn't reformat the hard drive because of it.

Well...we have different opinions.

Just trying to help the guy from my own experiences thats all.

did you install a dodgy early copy of SP2 RTM by any chance?

i know some of the "RTM" copies that were supposedly legit had trojans and viruses built into them, i read specifically about issues with explorer....

my $0.02 would be to format with a XP SP1 install, then upgrade to SP2 from the official MS site.

Err, surley there's no need to use SP1 and then upgrade to SP2 when Windows Service Packs are 'cumulative' - SP2 includes fixes that past service packs contained.

Format is sometimes the only thing in people's vocabulary. I personally try to fix and format is the last resort. If it is in the registry, you need to kill the file from your hard drive. Then kill out of the registry. If it keeps coming back, then we have some sort of virus that keeps spawing this file.