Using Dell OEM XP Disk for slipstream

I just got my new Dell laptop, and what better way to celebrate than to wipe the crap they install and do a fresh start with SP2?

I tried following the suggestions posted on the main page to slipstream XP, but when I get to the actual integrating part, it tells me it cannot complete because I am using a version with integrated software updates. I assume this is because of the extra "$OEM$" directory and such that they put in. What do you think? Should I grab a copy of XP Pro from... my friend... and use my included key?

There are lots of non-M$ things on a Dell XP CD. I am working on a guide on how to slipstream a Dell CD with integrated SP1a. I'll be back within 24 hours if I can make it work. Promise.

I got a Dell disk with XP Home on it and tried doing the same thing. I couldn't get it to work with AutoStreamer or using the command line....I always got the same error as you, that I was trying to integrate a version that had updates on it.

I ended up just doing a clean install with the disk, and then just running SP2 right after the install. I would love to be able to get a my copy slipstreamed though. Let us know if you can get it to work....

Question: does a clean install using the Dell XP disk still install Dell OEM stuff? e.g. the "Dell Solution Center" instead of the Help.

Can I just use an OEM copy of Windows XP and use my Dell key?

Just talked to Dell Support. He gave me a website that pretty much did what the Neowin guide said to do. Didn't work. I'm going to just do a clean install and install SP2 afterwards :(

Question: does a clean install using the Dell XP disk still install Dell OEM stuff? e.g. the "Dell Solution Center" instead of the Help.

Yes, it still copies the Dell solution center crap....I'm not even using a dell and it copies it on there...

Got the most recent Dell OEM CD I could find (July 2003). In the I386 directory do the following:

1. Delete the directory "SVCPACK"

2. Delete the file "SVCPACK.INF"

3. Delete all files named "Q??????.EXE"

4. Delete the following lines in "DOSNET.INF":

[OptionalSrcDirs]

svcpack

Now you should be able to slipstream it :rofl:

DELL: You obviously still have no idea on how to slipstream hotfixes properly - please consult the M$ KB :D

I have a DELL Dimension 8300 and had to re install XP a while ago, I had problems with the DELL CD and used an OEM CD and my DELL key and it worked fine, just did not get the DELL Logo in the System Properties screen.

SP 2 working fine on my PC btw...

Hope this helps

Tuftus

There are lots of non-M$ things on a Dell XP CD. I am working on a guide on how to slipstream a Dell CD with integrated SP1a. I'll be back within 24 hours if I can make it work. Promise.

There already is a guide :blink:

You only need the guide if you have a SP0 (WinXP Gold) CD

If you have SP1/SP1a CD it's easy to scrub off the hotfixes

and used an OEM CD and my DELL key and it worked fine

By OEM CD do you mean there is a version of windows that would accept my OEM key and doesn't have x companys branding on it? Where could I get my hands on something like that?, I guess I can do that right cause I already have paid for a key?.

DELL: You obviously still have no idea on how to slipstream hotfixes properly - please consult the M$ KB :D

That's the only way to slipstream hotfixes without doing an unattended install :blink:

That's the only way to slipstream hotfixes without doing an unattended install?:blink::

Yes and no - they didn't do it right. The binaries in i386\ should be replaced with the ones from within the hotfixes. And they are not. Check this article (it applies to XP as well). Or this KB article. Or this one. Or this one. :sleep:: or even this one.

Then try Windiff :happy::

With integrated SP1(a) it's not so bad because M$ were kind enough to code some workarounds for those OEM's who didn't get it right. But if you got an older OEM CD it may actually be a big issue.

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

PS - also there is no reason whatsoever for placing the Q??????.EXE files in \i386.  They should be in \i386\svcpack only.  :whistle:

Dell must have tried all KINDS of methods because a Dell XP Home OEM CD from feb04-ish puts the updates in the I386\Updates folder.

They must have gone NUTZZZ

Dell must have tried all KINDS of methods because a Dell XP Home OEM CD from feb04-ish puts the updates in the I386\Updates folder.

They must have gone NUTZZZ

Yep - I've seen some funny Dell CD's over time as well :laugh:

The one I tested on was just the most recent one I could get my hands on. Wonder what else is out there.... :p

Well, it's easy to check if the slipstreaming part would work - just follow the instructions and try slipstreaming the image. If that works there's a chance that the whole thing would work. Then again, there's always a chance that it won't - haven't seen a Gateway OEM CD - ever - so proceed with caution :shifty:

Well, it's easy to check if the slipstreaming part would work - just follow the instructions and try slipstreaming the image. If that works there's a chance that the whole thing would work. Then again, there's always a chance that it won't - haven't seen a Gateway OEM CD - ever - so proceed with caution :shifty:

I think they use regular OEM-style CD's so slipstream should work.

If it fails, you have to scrub the hotfixes by modifying DOSNET.INF, restoring SVCPACK.IN_ back to normal, deleting the $OEM$ folder, etc.

Copy everything from the Dell install disk -EXCEPT- the $OEM$ folder to your harddisk before you slipstream. That will keep all that Dell crap from installing next time you do a clean install.

I think they use regular OEM-style CD's so slipstream should work.

If it fails, you have to scrub the hotfixes by modifying DOSNET.INF, restoring SVCPACK.IN_ back to normal, deleting the $OEM$ folder, etc.

Thanks for the info, and to the person you quoted, too :)

I have a Dell OEM disc and it worked with the Slipstream program with no problem...

You are lucky, because you obviously got a Dell XP without ... errr.. "integrated" (cough!) hotfixes. There are all sorts of weird Dell XP CD's around. They all ought to be just like yours :yes: