afs filesystems?

i've been googling for some way to access afs filesystems...

see... my college uses afs. and all my programming projects/files have to be put on this server. so what we do now is ssh in, and then use the command line (xemacs, gcc) to write our files and compile and run them.

but hey, i'm a mac user, and i love xcode, so for now, i write my files in xcode and compile them with gcc, and debug... and if it works, i select all, copy, and paste into the terminal/ssh/xemacs window.

i think it'd be easier if i could use it like a mounted share, so is there can i allow the finder to access my afs partition? if the finder can't do it, but you know a seperate program that can, that's fine too.

My college provides us with an AFS client, which comes in both PC and Mac version. I have it installed on my Windows XP desktop for easy access to my AFS drives since my PC is on 24/7. I didn't install it on my Powerbook because I don't use it often enough for me to want to go through the trouble of installing it. If I need to transfer files at all, I use Fugu. If you want more info, you can check out my college website here. (Note: they haven't updated the page in a while so the targeted OS is still Jaguar).

Hope that helps!

My college provides us with an AFS client, which comes in both PC and Mac version. I have it installed on my Windows XP desktop for easy access to my AFS drives since my PC is on 24/7. I didn't install it on my Powerbook because I don't use it often enough for me to want to go through the trouble of installing it. If I need to transfer files at all, I use Fugu. If you want more info, you can check out my college website here. (Note: they haven't updated the page in a while so the targeted OS is still Jaguar).

Hope that helps!

i can't download it... it asks for a login... but a few lines down it says OpenAFS. is that what you use?

I just downloaded it and the file name is OpenAFS.pkg so I assume it is OpenAFS. It's freely available from MacUpdate if you wanna give it a try. Please keep me updated because I also want to find out how it runs..

I just downloaded it and the file name is OpenAFS.pkg so I assume it is OpenAFS. It's freely available from MacUpdate if you wanna give it a try. Please keep me updated because I also want to find out how it runs..

alright, so i downloaded OpenAFS and installed and restarted... there is a folder on the top of my hard drive called afs... there's nothing in it.

i will keep posting my results...

in the duke pages, it says a lot about some files i don't have... DukeAFS and uidMatch... they sound kind of important :rofl:

it also mentions Kerberos... and i don't know where apple put that in panther...

Edited by oik

i've found a kerberos extras package:

http://web.mit.edu/macdev/KfM/Common/Docum...ros-extras.html

but now it says "the specified realm is not in your config file or does not exist"...

if i can't do it tonight, i'll try emailing my oit desk.

and as i read that last article you posted, fuzzy_logic, i feel a little less comfortable... changing ownership of files... :pinch: i like the terminal and all, but that's a little too much.

and as i read that last article you posted, fuzzy_logic, i feel a little less comfortable... changing ownership of files... :pinch: i like the terminal and all, but that's a little too much.

That's partly why I didn't bother installing. For my usage, it's just not worth the trouble!

Good luck! ;)

That's partly why I didn't bother installing. For my usage, it's just not worth the trouble!

Good luck! ;)

i'm a cs major, so i have no way of getting around it... the biggest project in my current class will only be 6 files, but managing 6 files would be pretty hard. and that's just a 201 course... i'm sure some people here don't mind trying to handle 6 files at once, but i say "if it takes a little effort now, but will be worth it in the long run, then i might as well just bite my lip and go through with it".

i'm already up to Applications/V, so it won't be much longer :laugh:

just the other thousands of files in the other folders :rolleyes:

i'm a cs major, so i have no way of getting around it...  the biggest project in my current class will only be 6 files, but managing 6 files would be pretty hard.  and that's just a 201 course...  i'm sure some people here don't mind trying to handle 6 files at once, but i say "if it takes a little effort now, but will be worth it in the long run, then i might as well just bite my lip and go through with it".

i'm already up to Applications/V, so it won't be much longer  :laugh:

just the other thousands of files in the other folders  :rolleyes:

Are you using a desktop? Then I guess it's worth the trouble since your computer is connected to the internet all the time. For me, I'm using a PB so I don't want to see error messages and experience extended bootup time when I switch on PB w/o internet access. So I've settled for SFTP. (That, and also because I'm a little intimidated by the installation instructions on my school's OIT website. I'm not a CS major, just an electrical engineer. :rolleyes:)

Wait, Fuzzy logic, what school do you go to?

I'm a sophomore at Duke... which means I didn't get one of those free iPods!!! :angry:

Are you using a desktop? Then I guess it's worth the trouble since your computer is connected to the internet all the time. For me, I'm using a PB so I don't want to see error messages and experience extended bootup time when I switch on PB w/o internet access. So I've settled for SFTP. (That, and also because I'm a little intimidated by the installation instructions on my school's OIT website. I'm not a CS major, just an electrical engineer. :rolleyes:)

I'm a sophomore at Duke... which means I didn't get one of those free iPods!!! :angry:

no, i have a pbook too, but i'm not going to have it get a ticket at login.

i guess for now i can live with transmit and sftp... it's a shame though, i was really hoping to be able to mount it on the desktop :hmmm:

i'll try emailing the helpdesk tomorrow... when i try to get my ticket, i get this error:

Unable to authenticate to AFS because a pioctl failed.

thanks for the help, though. i do appreciate it :)

so i've been busy looking around... I emailed the Apple Sr. Tech for the DC/VA/MD Area, and he was able to get me in touch with my college's Apple Campus Rep. basically, what i've heard is that OpenAFS isn't very stable, and i should try using Arla AFS instead. the Campus Rep said he was going to try to do it this weekend, and he would let me know how it went.

... now i want to get OpenAFS off my system... :p

thanks fuzzy_logic, for your help :)

so i've been busy looking around...  I emailed the Apple Sr. Tech for the DC/VA/MD Area, and he was able to get me in touch with my college's Apple Campus Rep.  basically, what i've heard is that OpenAFS isn't very stable, and i should try using Arla AFS instead.  the Campus Rep said he was going to try to do it this weekend, and he would let me know how it went.

...  now i want to get OpenAFS off my system...  :p

thanks fuzzy_logic, for your help :)

You're welcome. I wasn't much of help anyway...:blush:

I hope you could get AFS working on your computer. I'm not sure what they mean by OpenAFS isn't very stable because all the Macs in my school have them installed and I've never had a problem. So if in case Arla AFS doesn't work for some reason, maybe I can try the OIT here and see what they have to say about running OpenAFS on Panther...

Good luck!

You're welcome. I wasn't much of help anyway...:blush:

I hope you could get AFS working on your computer. I'm not sure what they mean by OpenAFS isn't very stable because all the Macs in my school have them installed and I've never had a problem. So if in case Arla AFS doesn't work for some reason, maybe I can try the OIT here and see what they have to say about running OpenAFS on Panther...

Good luck!

to quote:

As far as the openAFS issue, I've seen most of the issues you've described and worked through them only to hit a wall where when you try to edit a file it segfault's and/or crashes the entire system.

he also mentions how arla seems to operate better in a mobile environment (laptops).

and to the first thing... you replied... even if it didn't work, you still tried to help, and i appreciate that.

Here's the replay I got from OIT at my school:

So I guess you were right about OpenAFS being not very stable. So did you get Arla AFS to work?

i didn't play with it... i'm gonna wait until the campus rep gets back to me. the helpdesk ticket i opened FINALLY got answered... they were as helpful as dell's tech support :p (j/k). the guy told me to try syncing with our campus' time server... if the times were too far off, it wouldn't give a token. so i ssh'ed in, and checked the date on the servers, and they were the same (down to the second, for pete's sake).

at least i know apple's time servers are correct :rolleyes: