Unofficial K-Meleon 0.9 beta3 based Version

[Nov. 22/2004]

Update:

+ Add Open All Links in the page funcion. Choose from Menu -> Edit. 
* Change default tab width. 
* Change some default network optimized setting.

Download

New version

I just made one unoffical version of K-Meleon, which is the fastest Gecko based browser (Much faster than Firefox).

The function besides K-Meleon 0.9 built-ins including:

Multi-Proxy support

Flashget(One great download software) plugin support

Cyber Article(One great web page collector) support

If anyone interested in that, you can download it here:

Download

Hope you like it.

Edited by coolwulf

K-Meleon is not designed with modern computers in mind. Its original goal was to fit Gecko engine onto an old machine, like a Pentium 100 Mhz or so. You definitely can't run Firefox on those machine. It will take forver for FF to load then.

For those that hate it, well, once again, it is for older box. Leave it alone if you don't like it.

The difference is that K-Meleon is a strip-down version of Firefox, so that it loads efficiently on old machine.

Consequently, it does not have a very attractive interface like FF does; however, it gets the job done. They need to trim down the browser a little more though because it still takes 8 to 10 sec to load up K-Meleon on a 200 Mhz 32 Mb laptop.

Interesting enough, IE 6 still loads the fastest on old machines.. surpassing K-Meleon.

On the same machine, it would take FF about 10~30 min to load up.. and crash right at your face.

I don't think K-Meleon is only for old machines. It is working perfectly on my machine which is Pentium m 1.6G laptop. It loads faster than Firefox and working great with all of the function I need:

Tab-browsing

Multi-Proxy change

Groups

Middle button open new tab

It can also use the IE's or Opera's bookmark which is amazing for IE users to change and FF can't do it right now. And the new incoming 0.9 version is making much better both at usability and interface.

Look at my default menu and toolsbars: (It is nice, isn't it?)

BTW, ThunderRiver. Are you from UM? I am in UM too.

post-80927-1101070712_thumb.jpg

I don't think K-Meleon is only for old machines. It is working perfectly on my machine which is Pentium m 1.6G  laptop. It loads faster than Firefox and working great with all of the function I need:

Tab-browsing

Multi-Proxy change

Groups

Middle button open new tab

It can also use the IE's or Opera's bookmark which is amazing for IE users to change and FF can't do it right now. And the new incoming 0.9 version is making much better both at usability and interface.

Look at my default menu and toolsbars: (It is nice, isn't it?)

BTW, ThunderRiver. Are you from UM? I am in UM too.

584963228[/snapback]

What are groups?

Group function let you put several links into one group. When openning this group will open all the links at once.

New version out. Please try it. Hope you will like it.

Amazing work to say the least, have been a huge fan of the Gecko rendering engine but never one of Mozilla Firefox. Out of curiosity, will development ever recommence on the official build?

The difference is that K-Meleon is a strip-down version of Firefox, so that it loads efficiently on old machine.
It is not! K-Meleon uses the same Gecko engine as FF but it is not a stripped down version. It is different from FF but has functions that are present in FF. Dont compare these two beyond the Gecko engine.
Consequently, it does not have a very attractive interface like FF does; however, it gets the job done.

Would you sacrifice speed over looks?

They need to trim down the browser a little more though because it still takes 8 to 10 sec to load up K-Meleon on a 200 Mhz 32 Mb laptop.
Download the soure code yourself and compile it on a faster machine. Then use it.
Interesting enough, IE 6 still loads the fastest on old machines.. surpassing K-Meleon.

Probably because IE is in memory.

Out of curiosity, will development ever recommence on the official build?

These unofficial builds will lead to the official build for 0.9. These newer releases are self-made releases, not to be released to the public until they have been completely tested. There are some features that might be in the final version, currently not present in these beta versions.

Edited by bonobozoot

this is interesting. but whats the difference between Firefox and K-Meleon?

584961838[/snapback]

Both Firefox and K-Meleon are based on Gecko. K-Meleon, for Windows only, uses OS native elements and controls for its interface, while Firefox uses XUL for its interface, thus making K-Meleon preform better on some systems.

For translation. Sure. I 'm gonna translate this version into Chinese also. I have done the translation before with 0.8.2+ also.

For example of personal use of K-Meleon, download my version and try press ALT+C, this function is special for CCF forum and that's why my version named CCF. Can you do this in Firefox? I guess not.

For translation. Sure. I 'm gonna translate this version into Chinese also. I have done the translation before with 0.8.2+ also. 

For example of personal use of K-Meleon, download my version and try press ALT+C, this function is special for CCF forum and that's why my version named CCF. Can you do this in Firefox? I guess not.

584964298[/snapback]

Do K-meleon have adblock extension (or even better build in) ?

nigel

p.s: it is one of the fastest ...