WinXP Tip: Uninstall Messenger 4.7

Q,I have Windows XP with MSN Messenger 4.7 built-in. I just installed the new version, but I still have the old 4.7 one. I couldn't find how the uninstall for 4.7 on the add/remove control panel.

Is there any way to remove or uninstall 4.7?

A,Windows Messenger can be very stubborn. It is not good enough to simply remove it from Add / Remove Programs (SP1 Users) because it will return if you open up Outlook or Outlook Express.

To remove Windows Messenger (completely), close Internet Explorer and Outlook or Outlook Express and click:

Start, Run

image1.JPG

enter the following command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

image2.JPG

NOTE: If you have SP1 installed, before running the above command line, you first need to go to:

Control Panel - Add or Remove Programs - Add/Remove Windows Components and untick "Windows Messenger" and restart to avoid getting an error (error unregistering the OCX 16422) when running the above command line. Now run the above command line. (If you still receive the OCX error, just ignore it. Messenger still uninstalls without a problem).

ADDITIONAL NOTE:If you use Outlook Express, you need to stop it from looking for Windows Messenger on startup. If you don't stop Outlook Express from looking for Windows Messenger on startup, you will get a lengthy delay before Outlook Express opens.

To remove Windows Messenger from Outlook Express and prevent the delay you need to edit the Registry in the following manner:

Open the Registry (Click Start - Run and type "regedit")

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express.

Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)

Value Name: Hide Messenger

Value Data: (2 = remove messenger).

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called 'Hide Messenger' and set the value to 2.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

*Friend showed me this*

By doing that, won't you mess up Remote Assistance, App Sharing and other XP programs such as Outlook/Outlook Express?

585013028[/snapback]

Yes. Don't run that command, just remove it via Add/Remove Windows Components (Y)

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't do something, Outlook\Messenger could be telling people you are online without your knowledge. l've suddenly had Windows Messenger pop up with someone saying Hi and Messenger hasn't even been on.

:)

is it safe to do this if you use Outlook Express? Everyone on this computer uses Outlook Express but I hate Windows Messenger and I want to remove it cause I have MSN Messenger. Can I?

is it safe to do this if you use Outlook Express? Everyone on this computer uses Outlook Express but I hate Windows Messenger and I want to remove it cause I have MSN Messenger. Can I?

585136234[/snapback]

can i?

585136234[/snapback]

Not really. You can change a registry value to prevent OE from using Windows Messenger, but then you'll lose the ability to see your contacts in OE. Like I say every time this "tweak" comes up, don't run it - just remove WM from Add/Remove Windows Components (Y)

Not really. You can change a registry value to prevent OE from using Windows Messenger, but then you'll lose the ability to see your contacts in OE. Like I say every time this "tweak" comes up, don't run it - just remove WM from Add/Remove Windows Components (Y)

585136815[/snapback]

except that doesn't stop it from automatically logging you in. you have to completely remove the exe (msmsgs.exe) to stop it from starting completely. it shouldn't interfere with outlook express.

http://www.nikush.com/index.php?option=com...id=53&Itemid=45

i'm not sure what you're saying about contacts though. i personally don't use outlook express, but why would you need windows messenger to see your contacts. why not just open msn messenger, or use the address book?

• 4 weeks later...
what about sp2? msgmsg

Do i do the same method to remove messenger?

585136688[/snapback]

Yes indeed, good question...Here is my present situation, as I have the 4.7.xxx Windows Messenger that comes built into WinXP SP2...(as we all do)

With WinXP SP1, and its built-in version of 4.7.xxx Windows Messenger (it is a earlier version then the present 4.7.xxx which is in SP2), I use to first go to \WINDOWS\inf directory and eliminate the word hide but retained the 2 comas, then would go to the Windows Add/Remove Components windows and 'uncheck' the Window Messenger 'grey box'...

***With SP2 Windows Messenger, there are now two checkbox options for Windows Messenger--->the orignal Grey box (this is the main one) & also an actual Window Messenger icon (checkbox) that when unchecked will delete Windows Messenger from you Programs List.

This would eliminate ALL traces of Windows Messenger from my laptop (even the Process---->msmsgs.exe) from my TaskManager...

However with the newer version of Windows Messenger 4.7 that comes with SP2, doing this 'exact same procedure' will eliminate most traces of it, with the following exception:

msmsgs.exe----->process (5-7k) is still listed! So apparently MS has really made it more difficult to 'totally eliminate it'...in SP2...

As I only utilize MSN Messenger 7.0.0425, (I do use Outlet Express on limited occasions)....Is there a 'safe way' to eliminate the msmsgs.exe process when using WinXP SP2?

Thanks, and I hopt that this is clear...lol

:wacko:

Utilizing this method (I have not tried it) seems to get positive results:

"ANOTHER UPDATE

It seems that after all this information, the above is just long-winded garbage. Apparently you can just remove it by running the following command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%infmsmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

The easiest way to do this is to open up Notepad, paste the above, alter it accordingly (i.e. the windir), save it as a .bat file (a batch file), then just double-click it.

I have also discovered there is a program that's been released to remove it. Click here to check out Uninstall Messenger 1.00. I recently tried this out, and it's very good. There was an error when I used it recently, but I believe it still works. It's a lot less hassle than the command-based removal, so I recommend you go ahead with the uninstall app."

However, this might b0rk up using OE...?

Edited by gahbmwM5

Darn it missed the edit time...Anyways, I can happily report that using the above remmsr-2.0.1 (Windows Messenger 4.7 Removal Tool) posted by member Bhav above has worked successfully on my WinXP SP2 laptop... :)

The Removal Tool executed properly, and now I DO NOT have any 'msmsgs.exe' Process (5-8k) listed in my Taskl Manager...

As I just utilize Outlook Express for only checking my POP3 ISP email acct, and some other web-based email accts, both Hotmail and my MSN acct, all OE functions work properly for moi! In fact, because it now does not have to check for Windows Messenger, OE starts up immediately, and I still can view my address/contacts to email ...

So my P3 laptop, thanks you for the link! :)