[HOWTO]Install Quake3 on Linux

What u need:

3D acceleration enabled

A copy of the Quake3 game (in CD format or ISO )

1) Download the file linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run from ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/linux

2) Make it executable:

chmod +x linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run

3) Run the installer and follow the prompts:

./linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run

quake2ins.jpg

4) By default the game will install on /usr/local/games/quake3

5) Now u need to copy some files from yor CD (or ISO, use loopback to mount the image) to yor game dir:

cp /mnt/cdrom/Quake3/baseq3/* /usr/local/games/quake3/baseq3

6) After that done run

quake3

from console

enjoy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

From what I was informed, the Linux version should run faster than in Windows, as I could view DivX movies fine on my 400 MHz Linux laptop when it lagged horribly on a 500 MHz P3 running Windows 98. I'll give this a shot and let you know if it works. Thanks, Lechlo.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello I'm having trouble getting Quake 3 up and running on my Ubuntu Linux box. I want to install it and have version 1.15c on it to use as a server, but everytime I try and run the .run files it gives me errors. I have CHMOD 755 the file. I also have and original windows install cd with 1.32 already on it, dont know if that will help. I've even tried installing the Quake 3 demo and still nothing....Heres the command I get when running the 1.17 patch:

Verifying archive integrity...OK

Uncompressing Quake III Arena Point Release 1.17trap: usage: trap [- lp] [arg signal_spec ...]

I dont know what this means please help!

Update:

Ok I figured it out. In order to run the script I needed to run the Bash command:

bash /usr/local/games/quake3/linuxq3apoint-1.17.x86.run

No to test to see if it works ;)