Optimize XP - A Windows XP Optimization Guide v1.8

"Optimize Windows XP to improve both work and gaming performance safely. Windows XP's default configuration is far from optimized. This guide will help you improve your overall system performance. I avoid using or recommending "all-in-one" Windows XP Tweak programs since many blindly adjust settings that have no affect on performance and can cause future problems..

This guide is designed to be performed top to bottom, in sequence since some steps are required to be performed before others. Before using this guide make sure your system meets Microsoft's Official: Windows XP System Requirements

This guide is not designed to be used in combination with other Windows tweaking guides or other Windows tweaking software. It is also not designed to be used in parts.

Updates:

v1.8.2

Spyware - Moved CCleaner here (saves time on spyware scanning)

v1.8.1

Boot - BootVis links Corrected

Boot - BootVis Notes Updated

Icons - Added

v1.8.0

AntiVirus - Trend Micro Sysclean Package Update Added

Spyware - Spybot DSO Exploit Fix Added

Windows Updates - SP2 Notes Added

Change Log - Added (By Request)

Optimize XP - A Windows XP Optimization Guide Current Version v1.9.0

Other guide

Windows XP Performance Tweaking Guide *Updated*

This guide has seen MANY revisions since it's original posting more than 3 years ago. Even after all this time I continue to add to this guide and revise it as needed. Please read this title very carefully because this guide is ONLY intended for Performance related tweaks. There's millions of other "tweaks" that other guides use but have nothing to do with performance.

In this guide I'm ONLY including what actually has some kind of affect on performance. I am trying to keep this guide dedicated to tweaks that directly affect your performance.

I've also started working on a tweaking guide for the paranoid which can be found here. I'll be creating a customization guide and also a more detailed/serious security tweaking guide whenever I find the time.

View Here @ " I Am Not A Geek "

Edited by JorgeIvan

When Microsoft finally upgrades from XP

im really going to hate it

cause i took me all this time to learn all the tweaks\tricks\optimizations

hopefully their new system is either

A: pretty much the same and xp tweaks apply

or

B: it is revolutionary different and worth it

When Microsoft finally upgrades from XP

im really going to hate it

cause i took me all this time to learn all the tweaks\tricks\optimizations

hopefully their new system is either

A: pretty much the same and xp tweaks apply

or

B: it is revolutionary different and worth it

585051955[/snapback]

Im guessing that you're talking about Longhorn? Yes, it will be well worth the wait from what I read, and hear.

cool, lots of stuff missing tho

btw

xp antispy already includes:

Windows XP SP2 limits the number of possible TCP connection attempts per second to 10 from an unlimited number in SP1. This can affect performance on server and P2P programs that need to open many outbound connections at the same time.

Notes - With the new implementation, if a P2P or some other network program attempts to connect to 100 sites at once, it would only be able to connect to 10 per second, so it would take it 10 seconds to reach all 100. In addition, even though the setting was registry editable in SP1, it is now only possible to edit by changing it directly in the system file tcpip.sys. Keep in mind this is a cap only on incomplete outbound connect attempts per second, not total connections. Servers and P2P programs can definitely be affected by this new limitation. Use the fix as you see fit.

u can add, perfect disk 7 to the list

windows cleaner 2005

x-setup pro

etc.

cool, lots of stuff missing tho

btw

xp antispy already includes:

Windows XP SP2 limits the number of possible TCP connection attempts per second to 10 from an unlimited number in SP1. This can affect performance on server and P2P programs that need to open many outbound connections at the same time.

The installer version is just easier for most people to install. It also acts like a standalone patch.

u can add, perfect disk 7 to the list

This is a good program but not free, notice it is mentioned in the page defrag notes. Only free programs are recommended on the site.

windows cleaner 2005
Do you have a link to this programs site and what does it do?
x-setup pro
A good program for the power user but a little too much for most people. Nothing in the program though really affects performance much. Alot of changes to the OS behavior if you are interested.

please think before you speak?:no::

this is the best tweaking program and has the most tweaks and affects the performance of the computer A LOT

And these are? And how do they improve performance?

windows cleaner 2005:

Why would you run a redundant program? The guide already has a 100% free program CCleaner that does everything this does without registration.

From what I read (quickly looked over it), very good guide. It'll take a bit more convincing than that to make me switch from Firefox to Avant, though, and I'm interested in some more thoughts about Avast! .. like how it compares to other antiviruses. What few reviews i've seen have been both positive and negative, none overwhelmingly so but it just leaves a sense of blandness.

Avast! is excellent for a free antivirus program. It is ICSA certified for Detection

http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/a.../certprod.shtml

Only the big name pay AVs are ICSA certified for Cleaning:

Trend Micro

Norton

McAfee

Computer Associates

So long as you have an AV certified on the Detection list and keep it properly updated it will find as much as the next one. What it comes down to alot of times are features like the interface and resource usage.

Trend Micro

Computer Associates

Avast!

Are all light on resources.

Windows XP Performance Tweaking Guide *Updated*

This guide has seen MANY revisions since it's original posting more than 3 years ago. Even after all this time I continue to add to this guide and revise it as needed. Please read this title very carefully because this guide is ONLY intended for Performance related tweaks. There's millions of other "tweaks" that other guides use but have nothing to do with performance.

In this guide I'm ONLY including what actually has some kind of affect on performance. I am trying to keep this guide dedicated to tweaks that directly affect your performance.

I've also started working on a tweaking guide for the paranoid which can be found here. I'll be creating a customization guide and also a more detailed/serious security tweaking guide whenever I find the time.

View Here @ " I Am Not A Geek "

Does Cacheman actually help? I mean, I'm pretty savvy when it comes to tweaks and whatnot.. does it do anything beyond what I might already know to increase responsiveness? One thing I hate is exiting a game like HL2 and the PC being pretty much unusable for ~30s or so. I tried the 'processidletasks' shebang, but that barely helps..

EDIT: Hmm.. reading around.. it sounds pretty assy. Chances are I probably have everything tweaked more efficiently anyway. :p

Edited by Pestul

Does Cacheman actually help? I mean, I'm pretty savvy when it comes to tweaks and whatnot.. does it do anything beyond what I might already know to increase responsiveness? One thing I hate is exiting a game like HL2 and the PC being pretty much unusable for ~30s or so. I tried the 'processidletasks' shebang, but that barely helps

Cacheman helps with games some, more with loading times ect.. Their is a games profile if you are interested. The whole guide in general helps fine tune Windows to increase responsiveness not necessarily cacheman by itself. I've evaluated ALOT of tweaks from various sites and if they improved performance any I would have them in the guide.