Wireless Intellimouse & Slackware? Can it work?

Hey Everyone,

Since the Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0 is at least a semi-popular mouse, I was wondering if anyone has a solution to the problem.

The issue I am having is that the mouse will only move in the vertical direction(+-y), and no amount of horizontal movement along the x-axis will make it move right or left. I'm currently using the ExplorerPS/2 protocol, although I have attempted using others (i.e. microsoft, imps/2), and they usually result in the same problem.

I've always used the device as /dev/mouse, the identifier as Mouse1, and the driver as mouse. I should not that this is not a notebook, and so I've also got a touchpad...which also doesn't work in linux. However, everything works pefectly in Windows XP, just not in Slackware 10.0; none of the options in xorgconfig seem to work.

BTW I'm using the latest KDE version if that helps :/

Any help would be appreciated.

believe me, it does work. I am using that mouse as we speak. Something must be wrong with your configuration

585087153[/snapback]

Is there a way to determine the device path for the mouse?

Well here's my input section if it helps :/

#Touchpad
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "PS/2 Mouse"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option      "Protocol" "auto"
	Option      "ZAxisMapping"          "6 7"
	Option      "Device" "/dev/psaux"
	Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
	Option      "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
	Option     "SendCoreEvents"  "true"
EndSection

#Wireless Intellimouse
Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier "USB Mouse"
         Driver      "mouse"
         Option      "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
         Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
         Option      "Buttons" "7"
         Option      "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
EndSection

I have no idea what to put for the device path...it's just that when I ran knoppix, the mouse worked almost perfectly, and so just used the same path it used for the usb mouse :/

Your 2 mice might be in conflict with one another since you are using "auto" instead of specifying a separate location for your device. I recommend disabling your touchpad.

I've also had bad experiences using /dev/input/mice

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Mouse1"

Driver "mouse"

Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

# Change the device to point to the correct location!

# I use the USB connection under devfs

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "Buttons" "7"

Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection

Your 2 mice might be in conflict with one another since you are using "auto" instead of specifying a separate location for your device. I recommend disabling your touchpad.

I've also had bad experiences using /dev/input/mice

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier  "Mouse1"

Driver      "mouse"

Option      "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"

# Change the device to point to the correct location!

# I use the USB connection under devfs

Option      "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option      "Buttons" "7"

Option      "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"

EndSection

585087773[/snapback]

I was hoping for an alternative since Knoppix seems to be able to handle both pretty easily :/

Is there a way that I can determine which device the mouse is using? i.e. both /dev/mouse and /dev/input/mice seem to work for the usb mouse...it's just that I can only move in the vertical direction...

I doubt that xmodmap would work since it's swapping buttons, not directions. Maybe that config is not valid for the 2.0 version of the wireless intellimouse :/ ?

the combination of xmodmap and imwheel straightens out buttons and directions. You need to run xmodmap in order to run imwheel. I still believe /dev/input/mice is an evil driver. They both do work for usb mice, but /dev/mouse seems different (I'm not sure how it is, but it works while /dev/input/mice doesn't for me)

How do you create the .imwheelrc file? If I create a .mwheelrc with kwrite, it's only displayed in the midnight commander, and not with the ls command. And is the home directory, the /home/user, /home, or the /root/?