Discuss: Neowin Community Game Awards

The Article

This is a place where you guys can discuss the end results of the game awards. The process was not perfect and I already know how to make things a lot better for next year. Although I came up with the idea and headed it all up, it was an impossible task to accomplish alone. I would like to personally thank Mr. Magoo (Tom Graham), blackice912, and Agentsmith for all their help. I would also like to thank all 1,100+ of you who voted. It was a much larger turnout than I could have ever expected.

I will be getting in touch with the publishers and such starting tomorrow. Acceptance speeches will be appended if any are submitted.

On a personal note: I so wish burnout 3 would have won best racing game lol.

Cool, I agree with Chode, I think Halo 2 should of won that definately. I think people just voted Half Life 2, Half Life 2 wherever they saw it.

585300809[/snapback]

That's what I think too....except for the Halo 2 part.

There are other games with a much greater focus on sound, ambience, and mood-fitting awe inspiring music. Half Life 2 just left me feeling lonely, which is more of a design flaw of every first person shooter than an intentional effect.

I fail to see how HL2 could be an Audiophile's Choice

585300803[/snapback]

While the soundtrack wasb etter in halo 2, the VO was excellent in Half Life 2. I did vote for Halo 2, but I can see how HL2 won it.

While the soundtrack wasb etter in halo 2, the VO was excellent in Half Life 2. I did vote for Halo 2, but I can see how HL2 won it.

585300820[/snapback]

I guess the people have spoken :(

Any way to get the percent numbers on the votes? I think they might be interesting...

585300825[/snapback]

Honestly, I think it will be left as is. I don't want some member's tainting a game's victory because it won by a narrow margin.

As for me, I'm just happy it's over. I woke up at 11am this morning and worked straight through till 3pm. Tom Graham and I conference called over skype with Tom Warren a bit and then individual calls back and forth all afternoon. Poor him having to deal with me lol.

I can't believe Halo 2 didn't win a single award. It was by FAR one of the best (if not THE best) games of 2004. :crazy:

585300834[/snapback]

no way was it the best game of 2004. HL2, IMO, was by far the best, but Halo2 still right up there with it

"Neowin's often cutting members have spoken" :rofl:

gg guys, the article looks really good.

585300841[/snapback]

Thanks. I kept the image of my 6th grade english teacher in my head. She taught me everything I know. She scared me back then lol. And yes, we all know how people here are lol. You guys have the most direct opinions and are never afraid to voice them. It's a unique trait for a community.

I can't believe Halo 2 didn't win a single award. It was by FAR one of the best (if not THE best) games of 2004. :crazy:

585300834[/snapback]

Because Half-Life 2 its superior. Easy as that. (and yes, I have played Halo 2)

Honestly, I think it will be left as is. I don't want some member's tainting a game's victory because it won by a narrow margin.

585300842[/snapback]

I already figured something like this... :)

for those who missed it, btw, these were the nominees. Please don't complain about them now. We know about the need to further make known the nomination process for next year.

- Best Sports Game -

Madden NFL 2005

ESPN Football 2005

MVP Baseball 2004

NCAA Football 2005

NHL 2005 +

Tony Hawk Underground 2 +

Pro Evolution Soccer 4 +

ESPN NBA 2k5 +

- Best Racing Game -

Burnout 3: Takedown

Need for Speed: Underground 2

Mario Kart: Double Dash

ATV: Offroad Fury 3

Rallisport Challenge 2 +

- Best First Person Shooter -

Halo 2

Half Life 2

Doom 3

Far Cry

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes

Unreal Tournament 2004 +

Killzone +

- Best Action Game -

Jak 3

GTA: San Andreas

Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Painkiller +

Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater +

Ninja Gaiden+

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within +

- Best Strategy Game -

Codename: Panzers, Phase One +

Ground Control II +

Rise of Nations: Thrones & Patriots +

Rome: Total War +

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War +

- Best RPG -

Fable

World of Warcraft

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean +

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door +

Tales of Symphonia +

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines +

Shadow Hearts: Covenant +

Star Ocean 3 +

- Best Fighting Game -

Dead or Alive: Ultimate +

Def Jam: Fight for NY +

Guilty Gear X2 #Reload +

Mortal Kombat: Deception +

WWE Smackdown! vs. RAW +

WWE Day of Reckoning +

- Top Notch Multiplayer -

Unreal Tournament 2004

Counter Strike: Source

Halo 2

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Half Life 2: Deathmatch

- Graphical King -

Doom 3

Chronicles of Riddick

Half Life 2

Far Cry

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes +

- Audiophile's Choice -

Burnout 3: Takedown

Silent Hill 4: The Room +

Half Life 2 +

Halo 2+

- Most Innovative -

Donkey Konga +

Eye Toy Groove +

Taiko Drum Master +

Katamari Damacy +

Metroid Prime: Hunters

- Definitive Community Choice of 2004 -

Doom 3

Half Life 2

Halo 2

GTA: San Andreas

Silent Hill 4: The Room +

*ignore the plus signs. They were personal markup.

Well after a definative count of all votes I would agree on all the results... It clearly shows even though the amout of people are still bickering about Half Life 2 it came out on top and won hands down...

Good results and nice reading...

Excellent.... :)

Man I need some sleep :sleep: to many edits... :woot:

For next year, you guys need to make different categories for PC and Console so one game doesn't have a complete sweep like this year.

585300872[/snapback]

Seconded... I think you have a very good point there. The PC users on Neowin are superior to the Console gamers. And I think that's too bad :(

For next year, you guys need to make different categories for PC and Console so one game doesn't have a complete sweep like this year.

585300872[/snapback]

Good idea :yes:

Agreed! Half Life 2 much better then Halo 2.

585300880[/snapback]

Half-Life 2 is a PC game. Halo 2 is an Xbox game. Therefore, Halo 2 is limited to the hardware of the Xbox and Half-Life 2 has virtually unlimited resources. I agree, Half-Life 2 is a great PC game, but you cannot compare (in my opinion) PC games to console games. Maybe when Xbox 2 is released. ;)