Entering Neowin's IRC using Opera

I wrote this guide in Opera 8 Beta 2, it should be similar for you as long as the version you are using has IRC capabilites (7.5 up I believe)

First off, you need to go to TOOLS > MAIL AND CHAT ACCOUNTS. In the now open "Manage Accounts" window, hit NEW.

Select CHAT (IRC) and hit Next.

Enter Real name/email address (I don't normally bother, just enter random fake details...it doesn't really matter :whistle: ) and hit next.

Enter your nick now, this is how other members will see you. I heavily suggest that you use your Neowin member name, just for clarity's sake...or at least something similar. I'm ChodenOne there. Hit next.

Enter your server name as:

irc.neowin.net

and hit finish.

You will now have a chat rooms window with a "fetching room list" message down the bottom. If a room list appears (or the server reads online in the chat panel), skip a couple of steps...

If not, you will need to right click the account name and click PROPERTIES.

Under the servers tab, enter

irc.neowin.net

as the incoming IRC server (I think it is an Opera bug that doesn't automatically fill this out everytime). Make sure your port is also set to 6667. (if you have already registered with the IRC server, make sure you also enter your password here...read near the end for more info)

Hit ok. You may need to restart Opera at this point. (to get the Chat Rooms window open again, go to CHAT > LIST ROOMS).

If you still cannot connect to the server, it is likely that you're nick has already been used. You will need to change your nick (under the channel properties) and most likely restart Opera. Do not proceed unless in the CHAT panel, irc.neowin.net is listed as ONLINE.

In the CHAT ROOMS window, hit New on the far right, and enter

Neowin

as the room name.

Now you should be in the Neowin IRC Room :o . One more step though.....

If you are a new user, you are going to need to register your nick to yourself.

At the bottom of the channel, type:

/msg nickserv REGISTER password email

Except replace password with a password for yourself, and email with a valid email address.

To make sure you can reconnect to the server using this nick, you will need to assign the password to your account.

Go to CHAT > LIST ROOMS. Right click the account name (irc.neowin.net) and hit properties. Under the server tab, enter your password.

And voila. Welcome to Neowin chat.

Brought to you by Neowin's resident Phantom of The Opera

Edited by Chode

n1 chode :D as aways, great guide

perhaps expand it to cover perform on join?

585565591[/snapback]

My turn to be a n00b (IRC n00b, not Opera ;))....what is perform on join?

Version	8.0 Beta 1 ?
Build	913 ?
Platform	Linux ?
System	i686, 2.6.9-1-686 ?
Qt library	3.3.3 ?
Java	Java Runtime Environment installed

I don't get the password opt:(n. :(

Version	8.0 Beta 1 ?
Build	913 ?
Platform	Linux ?
System	i686, 2.6.9-1-686 ?
Qt library	3.3.3 ?
Java	Java Runtime Environment installed

I don't get the password opt:(n. :(

585566763[/snapback]

nnooo!!!

I just rolled back to 8.0 Beta 1 because of troubles I was having, and I can see you are right with the no password opti:pinch:inch:

Seems the only way to use Neowin's IRC with Opera and a registered nick is if you use Opera 8 beta 2, otherwise you have to use an unregistered nick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I still get disconnected .. any ideas why ? ( all steps where made but .. ) ..  :no:

585749073[/snapback]

Using Opera 8 Final?

I've been using it as my main method of accessing IRC, and it seems to be a lot better.

Just remember that as soon as you enter and set your nick, to use the /pass password command if you are using a registered nick.

I am having trouble trying to connect. It keeps saying Fetching rooms... in List Rooms. I did follow your instructions excatly but it didn't work.

I am running Opera 8 final on XP Pro. I think maybe my firewall. I did allow Opera Full access and act as a server.

ok, delete the account and start again. Remember to close and reopen Opera after the process.

I really should update this guide to show how it's done in Opera 8 final.

• 5 months later...

In Opera 8.5 (Not sure about earlier versions) you can perform certain commands everytime you connect to an irc server. For example if you would like to identify to nickserv everytime you connect to an irc server, simply perform the following...

Click Tools -> Mail and Chat Accounts.
Then Click on the server you want to modify and click edit.
Finally click on the outgoing tab and type the commands you want to execute on connect.
In this case I would type "/msg nickserv identify mypasswd" on it's own line without quotes.

That's all there is to it. I hope that helps. :cool: