Please Recommend A Firewall

Question

Please recommend me a firewall, but not the following...

Norton- Memory Hog, bugs me 2 much in games

Mcafee- I hate them

Sygate- To complicated of a firewall

Zone Alarm - I hate them

Tiny Firewall- Hates Bittorrent, its "alerts" feature was so buggy!! It always froze my computer.

Pretty much i want a firewall that likes bitttorent and routers. It would be nice if it didnt hog my memory but thats ok.. I dont want one with alot of software bugs or if so it better have daily updates..

Please im in absolute need of a GOOD firewall.

I use Outpost http://www.agnitum.com/. I highly recommended you give it a try.

585762489[/snapback]

Forgot to add that 2 the list.

Outpost firewall was also one of those confusing firewalls. Didnt show me everything all in one place, it relied to much on plugins.

I have heard alot of bad things about black ice? Have they fixed all those bugs, exploits?

Forgot to add that 2 the list.

Outpost firewall was also one of those confusing firewalls. Didnt show me everything all in one place, it relied to much on plugins.

I have heard alot of bad things about black ice? Have they fixed all those bugs, exploits?

585762505[/snapback]

You probably have mentioned all the major firewall companies there are. Maybe you should stick with the SP2 built-in firewall.

I never said i had to go with major..I know their are plenty out there. Besides whats up with black ice firewall? Is it exploit safe now? Also maybe a fix for the tiny firewall problem i am having?

Earth to spammer. Come in spammer. Gelob already said Zone Alarm - I hate them

585762744[/snapback]

Hehe thanks..

I installed kerio a bit ago gonna restart in a few and see how it is.

2bad kerio interface sucks..Oh well im sure it will make up for it.

Edited by Gelob

Since you've slammed almost every major software firewall vendor on the market today, I assume you just don't want a software firewall.

Why don't you try a real firewall like the ones manufactured by Watchguard. Their Firebox SOHO products are highly configurable.

Also, if you own a Linksys WRT series router (among others) then you should consider using some of the patched firmwares available for it. There are several that provide the power and flexibility of netfilter/iptables.

Does your system use one of the newest line of nVidia chipsets that has a built-in hardware-accelerated firewall? For that matter, what operating system are you using?

You want a firewall that "likes bitttorent[sic] and routers". If you are already behind a router using NAT or NAT+ then you would only need a software firewall for outbound protection. Safe computing practices (using anti-virus software, not trusting software from unknown sources, regularly checking for malicious software, etc.) are usually sufficient for outbound protection.

I apologize for my paragraphs being so random. I'm very tired, and I'm just waiting for a CD to finish ripping.

Hehe thanks..

I installed kerio a bit ago gonna restart in a few and see how it is.

2bad kerio interface sucks..Oh well im sure it will make up for it.

585762756[/snapback]

Sucks huh? :ermm: It's really not that bad. Give it time.

kerio is just like sygate... if they didn't like sygate they won't like kerio.... it is probably even more complicated (not that sygate is complicated though :blink: )

Since you've slammed almost every major software firewall vendor on the market today, I assume you just don't want a software firewall.

Why don't you try a real firewall like the ones manufactured by Watchguard. Their Firebox SOHO products are highly configurable.

Also, if you own a Linksys WRT series router (among others) then you should consider using some of the patched firmwares available for it. There are several that provide the power and flexibility of netfilter/iptables.

Does your system use one of the newest line of nVidia chipsets that has a built-in hardware-accelerated firewall? For that matter, what operating system are you using?

You want a firewall that "likes bitttorent[sic] and routers". If you are already behind a router using NAT or NAT+ then you would only need a software firewall for outbound protection. Safe computing practices (using anti-virus software, not trusting software from unknown sources, regularly checking for malicious software, etc.) are usually sufficient for outbound protection.

I apologize for my paragraphs being so random. I'm very tired, and I'm just waiting for a CD to finish ripping.

585762795[/snapback]

Those firebox's look expensive.

I am on a router but i would like a software firewall as well. I have a d-link and am very proud. (hate linksys), if you know of any firmware mods let me know.

LOL my system isnt THAT new.

LOL im buring CDs 2 thats why i havent restarted yet

Speaking of anti-virus software..What do you recommend, you seem to know your stuff. Ill give you my list.

Norton- Memory intensive, corparate (how did i get that?) isnt enough protection.

Mcafee- NO

Panda- Not so bad..Just never got past their trial.

Right now im using sophos..Pretty happy so far.

Outpost is ok, It has a few plugins which you would have no use for what you're asking for, besides the ones it already comes with can be easily disabled.

You want simplicity - Yes, you already mentioned it, but ZoneAlarm is probably easiest there is when it comes to software firewalls. If you can handle Tiny then I don't see why on earth would Sygate be complicated since Tiny is only Rules based and Sygate is both application and rules based and it's quite simple to use, IMO.

Other options would be Jetico, Look 'n' Stop (check for SP2 compatible version on Wilders forum), Kerio (Probably the thing you're looking for), Kaspersky AntiHacker (Easy to use), 8signs and there are others come with major antivirus suites (Panda, TrendMicro, Norton, BitDefender, Norman, Kaspersky).

In best case get a hardware firewall so you won't have to "choose one".

Regards,

r.

Sophos would actually be my first recommendation. I've used them in enterprise environments for a couple of years now without any unmanaged outbreaks, so I would say they're pretty good.

I use to use Norton Anti-Virus at home, but I have found it to be too memory and CPU intensive for its intended purpose. The computer on which I am typing this message is using AVG Anti-virus Free Edition by Grisoft. Their free version can be downloaded here.

By the way, I'm not very familiar with D-Link products. There may or may not be a patched firmware available for your particular router. The only reason I chose the Linksys WRT54GS that I currently own is because of its open-source firmware. I have put quite a lot of effort into creating a good firewall ruleset for it.

Edit: I appended information about D-Link and Linksys routers.

LookNstop screwed up my system big time so I won't  recommend it. Outpost is my choice.

585762742[/snapback]

ditto. stop and look fu**ed my system right up. nothing but a comlete reinstall fixed my internet.

outpost is great. it is simple enough though, just switch off the plugins.

otherwise just resort to old kerio 2.5.something.

simple and it works. there is also custom config (whoch have being posted arounf here on few occasions) which works great. even though its over 2 years old - its highly recommended

If you can handle Tiny then I don't see why on earth would Sygate be complicated since Tiny is only Rules based and Sygate is both application and rules based and it's quite simple to use, IMO.

585762845[/snapback]

At least tiny prompts you..The turn off for tiny was those pop ups that alert you when something is blocked..Well they hung up my ssytem and just stood there on my screen and freaked out.

Sophos would actually be my first recommendation. I've used them in enterprise environments for a couple of years now without any unmanaged outbreaks, so I would say they're pretty good.

I use to use Norton Anti-Virus at home, but I have found it to be too memory and CPU intensive for its intended purpose. The computer on which I am typing this message is using AVG Anti-virus Free Edition by Grisoft. Their free version can be downloaded here.

By the way, I'm not very familiar with D-Link products. There may or may not be a patched firmware available for your particular router. The only reason I chose the Linksys WRT54GS that I currently own is because of its open-source firmware. I have put quite a lot of effort into creating a good firewall ruleset for it.

Edit: I appended information about D-Link and Linksys routers.

585762861[/snapback]

I dont like those free Anti virus products. Its like installing an open source version of windows. Ehh i guess i dont trust people who wont take my money ROFL. Ill stick with sophos. Keep in mind ill still havent restarted the PC lol. Oh well time for bed

Thanks for the recomendations. Ill check all those companies out :)

kerio is just like sygate... if they didn't like sygate they won't like kerio.... it is probably even more complicated (not that sygate is complicated though :blink: )

585762807[/snapback]

yeah i didnt think that sygate was too complicated. i prefer software which may look complicated but is feature-rich. try trend micro's firewall.

At least tiny prompts you..The turn off for tiny was those pop ups that alert you when something is blocked..Well they hung up my ssytem and just stood there on my screen and freaked out.

585762991[/snapback]

Which version of Tiny are we talking about here, good old 2.x or new 6.x?

Sygate prompts you when application asks for access. The only time it won't is when you are using proxy to access internet or software like Ad Muncher, due to its issue with loopback filtering. That's the main reason why I don't use it - I use Ad Muncher.

Tiny ran stable for me and it does not popup when something got blocked - it was just recorded in the logs.

As for antiviruses - if you're happy with Sophos stay with it. There is no need for change.