MSN Messenger Broke?

Question

I did a search and could not find any other post on this. I know that i am not the only one having this problem.

I cannot get the MSN feature (what are you listening too) to work.

I have it enabled in WMP, I have it enabled in MSN.

WTF is going on, at least 3 of my buddies also cannot get it to work, though one f them had it working on his for one session then he shut down and now it wont work again. I am a little frustrated.

Has anybody else had this problem and figured out how to fix it?

7 answers to this question

I tried using build 777, it wouldn't work with winamp. So i switched back to build 604 which is better, but now no one can see what im listening to (even though to me it looks like its working) and I can only see "<headphoneicon> _-_" when someone is listening to something so it kinda sucks...

I had the same problem for the longest time. Then I emailed MSN and got this response. Try these steps.

If you are unable to see the music that you are listening to through Windows Media Player or iTunes, please try the following suggestions below:

1. Install the latest version of MSN Messenger.

a. Open "Internet Explorer" and go to http://messenger.msn.com/download .

b. Click on ?Go? under ?Registered MSN User? and follow the steps in the wizard to install the latest version of MSN Messenger.

2. Enable the feature in MSN Messenger.

a. Sign into "MSN Messenger".

b. Click on ?Tools? followed by ?Options? from the "MSN Messenger" menu.

c. Click on ?Personal? in the Options window and check ?Check Song information from Windows Media Player as a personal message

3. The ?Music Personal Status Message? feature has the following system requirements. Verify that your computer meets the system requirements.

a. Ensure that you are running Windows Media Player v 9.0 and above or iTunes v 4.7 and above.

i. To verify the version of Windows Media Player, click "START" and click "RUN" and type in "WMPLAYER" (without quotations) and hit "Enter". In the menu bar click ?Help? and ?About?. If you do not see the menu bar click on the ?Autohide menu bar? button to display the menu bar.

Note: If you are running Windows Media Player version 10, then you do not have a menu bar but a down arrow displays the menu options. Skip the steps below if this is the case and proceed to Step 4

ii. If the version displayed is not greater than or equal 9.0, please install the latest version of Windows Media Player by going to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en and step through the wizard to install "Windows Media Player".

iii. To verify the version of itunes, click "START" and click "RUN" and type in "ITUNES" (without quotations) and hit "Enter". In the menu bar click ?Help? and ?About?.

iv. If the version displayed is not greater than or equal 9.0 , please install the latest version of Windows Media Player by going to http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/ and step through the wizard to download the latest version of iTunes.

Note: If you tried to enable this feature and did not have the minimum required version of Windows Media Player (greater than version 9) then Messenger will prompt you to install the required version

b. This feature is supported on Windows 2000, windows XP and Windows 2003 alone.

4. Ensure MSN Messenger is set to open main window on start up:

a. Sign out of Messenger.

b. Click on ?Tools? followed by ?Options? and then ?General?.

c. Check ?Open main window when Messenger starts?

5. Sign out and sign into MSN Messenger and with a song playing in Windows Media Player verify that you are able to see it in MSN Messenger.

6. If you are still unable to see the music being played in Windows Media Player, follow the steps below to reinstall the Messenger plug-in

a. Uncheck the option in MSN Messenger.

i. Sign into "MSN Messenger".

ii. Click on ?Tools? followed by ?Options? from the MSN Messenger menu.

iii. Click on ?Personal? in the Options window and uncheck ?Show song information from Windows Media Player as a personal message?

iv. Sign out of MSN Messenger.

b. Remove the Messenger plug-in in Windows Media Player.

i. Exit out of Messenger if you are signed in.

ii. Launch "Windows Media Player".

Note: If you do not see the menu bar, click on the ?Autohide menu bar? button to display the menu bar. If you are running Windows Media Player version 10, then you do not have a menu bar but a down arrow displays the menu options. Click this to launch the menu bar.

iii. In the menu bar, click "Tools" menu, click "Options", and then click the ?Plug-ins? tab.

iv. In the "Category" section, click "Background".

v. In the "Background" option, select "MSN Messenger Music Plugin" and then click "Remove".

vi. Click "OK".

vii. Exit "Windows Media Player".

c. Enable the option in MSN Messenger.

i. Sign into "MSN Messenger".

ii. Click on ?Tools? followed by ?Options? from the MSN Messenger menu.

iii. Click on ?Personal? in the Options window and check ?Check Song information from Windows Media Player as a personal message?

d. Verify that the plug-in is enabled in Windows Media Player

i. Launch "Windows Media Player".

Note: If you do not see the menu bar click on the ?Autohide menu bar? button to display the menu bar. If you are running Windows Media Player version 10, then you do not have a menu bar but a down arrow displays the menu options. Click this to launch the menu bar.

ii. Click the "Tools" menu, click "Options", and then click the ?Plug-ins? tab.

iii. Verify that the MSN Messenger Music plug-in is checked.

Note: MSN Messenger v 7.0 installs this plug-in to monitor any changes in Windows Media Player and gets the meta data associated with a song such as the name of the artist and the track.