[general] AuthPatcher Virus/Trojan warning!

There's the same problem referred to in the main April 2005 thread above

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...c=299731&st=120

Admins, please close this thread?!

Hi there,

using the torrent link on about the 5th page of the main April 2005 topic above and a direct (mirrored) link to download the (full) April 2005 update. However I'm running the AVG anti-virus software, and it warns that the .exe file (for both downloads) contains the Trojan Horse: Downloader.lstbar.8.K

Any ideas, is my Anti-Virus getting a false positive or what?

Have "healed" the fiels and have to reboot to restore them (which I'm about to do now - assume that this worked okay unless I edit this post to the contrary), so no harm done, but a bit worrying.

/MK.

[uPDATE] - no go, not able to restore/heal the file (free anti-virus software, so what can I expect!). Is it really infected?!

Edited by madkevo

Did you check to see the hash value of the file. According to the post, it says it's suppose to be 42FB9AA9EC25F97B2D8D9B4F79E98FF6, assuming it's the english version of AutoPatcher XP. I'm not going to attempt to test that link out for you. Sorry.

I scanned them all.. no virus detected.

I'm sure raptor and the team wouldn't let it ship with viruses in it, anyways

Well then in your case madkevo, it's your anti-virus program that's giving you a false positive. You get what you paid (Free) virus scanner program that does jack crap.

Don't really trust free anti-virus programs. But if you scanned from the same program and showed nothing for you M2Ys4U, then that virus must have come from somewhere madkevo. Strange.

--------------------------------------

Scan started: Wed Apr 20 22:49:26 2005

-- summary --

Known viruses: 31566

Scanned directories: 0

Scanned files: 3

Infected files: 0

Data scanned: 316.05 MB

I/O buffer size: 131072 bytes

Time: 53.018 sec (0 m 53 s)

-------------------

Completed

-------------------

I had no virus, nor had any virus warning. I made a full scan before and after the April version. It must be either a false positive, or the file must have been changed.

ok, will have to see what's going on. AVG has had a lot of updates in the last few days and had picked up lots of LovGate worms in particular on my system, so I may have other problems!

thanks to all for the replies.

The latest AVG online update seems to fix the problem with the false detection :-)

585808523[/snapback]

Updated and system up to date - nice one!

avg is crap.i tried it and it reported many system files i had were viruses yet they were not.