Install Panther on G3

Hello Everyone,

I own a Mac Mini, and I have found an older G3 system. I would like to put Panther on it!

I have a retail version (10.3.0)

Here is what happens (See Screenshot 1)

It have tried this 3 times, and it just continually tells me to restart the computer. It shows the boot screen for about 30 seconds, then shows this screen.

The System Specs are as follows:

233MHz G3

64MB Ram

4Gb Harddrive

CD-Rom, Zip

According to the requirements of Panther, you need a G3 processor.

Thanks Everyone,

Kayle

Picture 1

Picture 2

Yeah, you need a G3, but you also need at least 128MB of RAM. That is most likely your problem. A larger hard drive wouldn't hurt either.

edit: I also noticed that you have one of the old beige G3's, which isn't supported in Panther or Tiger without using XPostFacto.

Edited by roadwarrior

I'm running 10.3.9 on a G3 B&W 350, 320MB RAM, 6GB, with no problem what so ever.

586103655[/snapback]

Yes, but Kayle12 has a much older system with 1/5th the RAM that yours has, and his (or her) system isn't natively supported either (no built-in USB).

So, What can I do to install Panther? I can find some RAM around my house, no problem there but what's this program your talkin about? I'm totally new to the MAC as I just got my Mini 1 month ago.

If you direct me to the site, is it very easy to use??

Thanks Alot

Kayle

So can anyone direct me towards this program XPostFacto and how to use it?

While I am here, will Mac OS X run at all on the G3 iMacs (the tray loading and slot loading)?

586104820[/snapback]

Yes. Panther works on all of the iMacs. Tiger will even run natively on the later model ones (the ones with FireWire ports). Tiger will run on all of them with XPostFacto.

I was incorrect it my system specs. I was going to put more RAM in, and I noticed that it has been upgraded.

Here are the correct specs:

G4 400MHz (Must have a processor upgrade card)

768 RAM

20GB Harddrive

So I'm trying this xPostFacto and it won't intstall because it tells me that it can't install on a partition larger than 8GB. So what can I do?

Kayle

I was incorrect it my system specs. I was going to put more RAM in, and I noticed that it has been upgraded.

Here are the correct specs:

G4 400MHz (Must have a processor upgrade card)

768 RAM

20GB Harddrive

So I'm trying this xPostFacto and it won't intstall because it tells me that it can't install on a partition larger than 8GB. So what can I do?

Kayle

586108858[/snapback]

In a machine that old, you will have to make an 8GB or smaller partition on the drive for the installation of OS X (you can use the remaining partition for data, applications, or whatever). You do this in Disk Utility from the Installation CD. When you first boot from the CD, at the initial screen, look for Disk Utility in the menus.

Yes. Panther works on all of the iMacs. Tiger will even run natively on the later model ones (the ones with FireWire ports).  Tiger will run on all of them with XPostFacto.

586107635[/snapback]

Okay, are these firewire ones that you are reffering to the 2nd gen ones that only came in Blue and White with the slot load drives? Or are they a specific type of iMac?

Okay, are these firewire ones that you are reffering to the 2nd gen ones that only came in Blue and White with the slot load drives? Or are they a specific type of iMac?

586109860[/snapback]

They are the DV models (they came in several colors, as I recall). They have a FireWire port. Earlier models only had USB.

iMac DV @ Apple-History.com

In a machine that old, you will have to make an 8GB or smaller partition on the drive for the installation of OS X (you can use the remaining partition for data, applications, or whatever).  You do this in Disk Utility from the Installation CD.  When you first boot from the CD, at the initial screen, look for Disk Utility in the menus.

586109098[/snapback]

I have realized that but I have another problem.

I don't have the OS 9 Disk, that the computer is saposed to come with. So I found an older 10GB Harddrive, and installed MacDrive (From MediaFour) trail on my PC. Then I hucked up the 10Gb Harddrive and formatted a 7.9GB Paritition with HFS+ on that harddrive. I also formattted the remaining 2GB with HFS+.

I then hucked it up to the MAC and OS 9 will not find the Harddrive, so I may use xPostFacto and get OS X installed!

What can I do to get this up and running? Is there a free program where I can resize the current 20GB Harddrive down so I can also make a 8GB parition?

Thanks Everyone,

Kayle

I have realized that but I have another problem.

I don't have the OS 9 Disk, that the computer is saposed to come with. So I found an older 10GB Harddrive, and installed MacDrive (From MediaFour) trail on my PC. Then I hucked up the 10Gb Harddrive and formatted a 7.9GB Paritition with HFS+ on that harddrive. I also formattted the remaining 2GB with HFS+.

I then hucked it up to the MAC and OS 9 will not find the Harddrive, so I may use xPostFacto and get OS X installed!

What can I do to get this up and running? Is there a free program where I can resize the current 20GB Harddrive down so I can also make a 8GB parition?

Thanks Everyone,

Kayle

586110739[/snapback]

Why did you try formatting the drive on the PC? You could have easily formatted it in OS 9. Using that trial version of MacDrive is probably why it didn't work.

How do I format it in OS 9, considering it can't detect the Hard-Drive in the "First Aid" preference in the Apple Menu?

How do I format it in OS 9, considering it can't detect the Hard-Drive in the "First Aid" preference in the Apple Menu?

586110976[/snapback]

With Drive Setup. It should be in the Applications folder, under Utilities. First Aid isn't going to see the drive without the correct OS 9 partitions on it, which is what Drive Setup will do. Drive Setup for OS 9 is like fdisk on Windows.