Video problems, please help! (56k warning)

Recently, my video card (Mobility Radeon 9700) has started glitching up. Normal desktop stuff is fine, but games are starting to get real problems. Here are some screenshots from CS:S

After 1 game:

de_dust0000.jpg

de_dust0001.jpg

After 2 games:

de_dust0004.jpg

de_dust0005.jpg

After 3 games:

de_dust0008.jpg

de_dust0009.jpg

After 4 games:

de_dust0012.jpg

de_dust0013.jpg

I have no idea what the problem is. I've opened up the laptop and taken a can of compressed air to it to clean out the dust, thinking it was a heat problem, but it's still occurring. I'm currently running the Catalyst 5.7 drivers, via the DHmod tool. If it were still under warranty I'd send the machine back, but the warranty expired about a month ago, so I'm pretty much screwed, I think. Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of that might help is downloading a tool and underclocking the card (even though it's at stock right now), but that seems more like a temporary fix to the problem.

its definately heat. because thats the only thing really changing over time... your card is getting hotter. something is screwed up, the heatsink on your video card might have come off a bit, or its just too hot inside your case. try opening up the case, and if that doesn't work, take apart the heatsink on your card and try and re-mount it.

Maybe it's overheating, since as you play more it gets worse. Is this what happened the first time you played CS?

586219811[/snapback]

Nope, worked perfectly from the time I bought HL2 (release day, so I guess 11/2004) up until a couple weeks ago.

its definately heat. because thats the only thing really changing over time... your card is getting hotter. something is screwed up, the heatsink on your video card might have come off a bit, or its just too hot inside your case. try opening up the case, and if that doesn't work, take apart the heatsink on your card and try and re-mount it.

586219824[/snapback]

Can't get access to the video card with it being a laptop. I've already tried it.

That's terrible. Try calling Dell to see what they say, even if your warranty is expired. They still might be able to do something for you at a cost less than a new graphics chip.

Well, have you tried using different drivers since you mentioned it's the only thing you've changed?

586220847[/snapback]

Yeah, I was using the Omega 5.6 drivers, and had the problem with that. Now I'm using the official 5.7 drivers, and still have the problem.