Microsoft Messenger 5 Customization Thread

Microsoft Messenger 5.0 seems to be much more customizable than it's predecessors, so maybe it's a cool idea to post all our mods here and use it as a place to request them.

My mods:

Notification windows without the MSN Logo on it:

Replace the originals with these by browsing to Microsoft Messenger.app/Contents/Resources and open Microsoft Messenger.rsrc with ThemePark. In ThemePark go to PICT and drag the replacement .tiff files in resource numbers 2904 and 2905.

Notification_Window_Replacement.zip

Get rid of the MSN and/or Microsoft logos in your contactlist and/or IM windows

Browse to Microsoft Messenger.app/Contents/Resources that's where all the resources are located

To get rid of the MSN/Microsoft logo in the contactlist replace your current .png files with the contents of Contactlist.zip

For the IM windows do the same with the contents of IMwindow.zip

Contactlist.zip

IMwindow.zip

to get rid of the security warning when you open a chat window go to

right click on messenger:

show package contents>contents>resources>(your language).lproj and find InstantMessageWindow.strings>open it with textedit or similar and at the bottom of the file you can leave yourself any message you want

my question is how do you get rid of the msn icon next to your chosen text?!

Has anyone read the about screen... it talks about being able to modify distribute and also sell it! Does that refer to certain components within messenger or messenger itself?

Removing the Personal / Cooperate tab-bar from the contact list, install the same way as above

586352475[/snapback]

By install as same way as above, do u mean i have to copy over 2904 and 2905 aswell with this one?

Has anyone read the about screen... it talks about being able to modify distribute and also sell it! Does that refer to certain components within messenger or messenger itself?

586354683[/snapback]

Yea same applies to Windows itself but we do have a whole Windows Customization Subforum. According to Microsoft it's even illegal to install your own custom visual styles and patch the uxtheme.dll.

By install as same way as above, do u mean i have to copy over 2904 and 2905 aswell with this one?

586354731[/snapback]

Nope, drag it into Microsoft Messenger.app/Contents/Resources, that's what he means. :)

Yea same applies to Windows itself but we do have a whole Windows Customization Subforum. According to Microsoft it's even illegal to install your own custom visual styles and patch the uxtheme.dll.

Nope, drag it into Microsoft Messenger.app/Contents/Resources, that's what he means. :)

586354738[/snapback]

O thanks just figured that one out b4 u replied :)

But now, theres this thick ugly grey line (~3 pixels) where the tabs were. I cant stop staring at it :pinch:

to get rid of the security warning when you open a chat window go to

right click on messenger:

show package contents>contents>resources>(your language).lproj and find InstantMessageWindow.strings>open it with textedit or similar and at the bottom of the file you can leave yourself any message you want

586353324[/snapback]

Thanks for that looking for it myself.

What MSN icon do you mean (screenshot?)?

O thanks just figured that one out b4 u replied  :)

But now, theres this thick ugly grey line (~3 pixels) where the tabs were. I cant stop staring at it  :pinch:

586354760[/snapback]

Yup. You're right, it should be only 1 pixel thick.

Thanks for that looking for it myself.

What MSN icon do you mean (screenshot?)?

Yup. You're right, it should be only 1 pixel thick.

586354771[/snapback]

by using just "" the icon isnt there but i assume the two msn 'people' icon (messenger logo?) is shown when you put your own custom text in there.

586353324[/snapback]

aah you mean the MSN Messenger icon next to "Never give out your password or credit card number in an instant message conversation. blablabla"?

From what I've seen it's using the 16 px size of the Application .icns file, so deleting that clearly isn't an option. Probably the only way of getting rid of it is by rewriting a part of the InstantMessageWindow.pobj file, not sure what part tho.

anyoen no how to remove the file sending block on EXE files???

586355539[/snapback]

I don't think that's possible, it's probably being regulated via the MSN server. It won't let you send .dmg files either, insane really. :crazy:

Here are two new updates on removing the toolbar, I had to made two versions, one for people who use the default toolbar in messenger, and one for people who dont use that toolbar.

586355897[/snapback]

Great thanks!

Edited by PureLogic

I don't think that's possible, it's probably being regulated via the MSN server. It won't let you send .dmg files either, insane really. :crazy:

586355576[/snapback]

Just put them inside a Rar file.

just a quick question..

how to extract the contents of the rsrc file.. themepark doesnt seem to do it.. i want to extract everything from it.

586355362[/snapback]

Are you talking about the Resources folder in the App package? Simply right click on Microsoft Messenger's icon, select "Show Package Contents", double click on Contents, and drag the Resources folder where you want to save it.

Just put them inside a Rar file.

586356674[/snapback]

yea I realized I could do that, sit, sitx, bin, iso etc. will also work. :shifty:

Are you talking about the Resources folder in the App package?? Simply right click on Microsoft Messenger's icon, select "Show Package Contents", double click on Contents, and drag the Resources folder where you want to save it.

586356743[/snapback]

He wants to extract all the stuff from the .rsrc file, and I think he's right ThemePark can't do that all at once.

thats right PureLogic

well if it needs to be done one by one then so be it :)

what would eb great is if we can get all these patches together and make a little program for it.

I would love to see the different Dock states back in Messenger 5. That when you're busy, the Dock icon changes to "Busy", when you're away, the Dock icon changes to away etc. Just like MSN Messenger 4 does.

Anyone up for the challenge? :innocent:

i am so confused as of how i get rid of the corporate tab... someone care to break it down for me and what is THEMEPARK?

nevermind i got it ;)

Edited by nexionly