• Avant
    • AM Browser (Crazy Browser)
    • Slim Browser
    • Green Browser
    • GoSurf
    • The World
    • AOL Explorer
    • Others

I had used firebird 0.6/0.7 as default browser for several months a few years back but I switched back to IE6. Perhaps some people like me are going to stick with the Trident engine no matter how "faulty" the rendering is. Just like some people who love the sweet sound of vaccum tube amps, though vaccum tubes may not always produce the highest fidelity. :happy:

IE could be a little lean in features but fortunately we get tons of IE front ends (shells, addons, plugins, extensions or whatever one wish to call) to choose from. I tried many and settled with Maxthon for more than a year now. Maxthon is very customisable, has tons of features, and has the most sophisticated plugin system and tons of plugins (500+ and counting) which can satisfy nearly any specific/unusual needs.

I am interested to know your choice, if you happen to use one. There are much more IE shells than what's listed but poll options are limited to 10, so I select those which seem to be more popular and have an English home page. There is nothing to do with the order of options, just what came up in my mind. If you use one which is not listed, you're welcome to name it.

Maxthon (MyIE2)

Netcaptor

Avant

AM Browser (Crazy Browser)

Slim Browser

Green Browser

GoSurf

The World

AOL Explorer

Others

Now let's have some fun but not flame. And to FF/opera users, we probably know enough how "suck" IE is and there is no need to tell us again. Thanks! :p

I normally use Internet Explorer by itself but the only IE shells I use are AOL Explorer and MSN 9, I voted AOL Explorer because I tend to use it more (tabbed browsing rocks), but I do think you should put MSN 9 as one of the selections too.

As for me:

IE6: couldn't live without tabbed browsing once I tried it

Opera: probably second best I've used, very nice.

FF: I disliked that some pages didn't render correctly, and you had to hunt down extensions for every little feature I was used to in other browsers

Maxthon: tried it, loved it. I might leave it one day for Opera if the security problems start to overwhelm it though.

It's all about the Maxthon.

Haven't been a pair as good as IE 6 and Maxthon since the days of Sonny and Cher. :p

You got your Tabbed Browsing, Tab Groups, ability to block Flash, use Mouse Gestures, pop-up blocker, ad-blocker and a whole lot more.

maxthon1.png

maxthon2.png

maxthon3.png

This one gave me a laugh:

http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/snap.jpg

And they call that "slim"?  :laugh:

Wow. I dunno. I like my interface nice and simple. All I did was basically add the Maxthon links - 4 of them - right on the toolbar in IE and that was it. I don't like too many icons, like that Sbrowser and Avant seem to have, for example.

Also, I prefer tabs to a true overlapping MDI any day of the week. :)

I have been seeing what still works with IE7 Beta 1 and so far even Neoplanet works good as well as Enigma and TheWorld.

Have been to some scummy sites to see if things stay secure and after three days have picked up no unwanteds!

I tend to use two browsers: Maxthon and Avant! Maxthon rocks and is the king as far as I am concerned and Avant comes a close second. new_0011.gif

I've tried...

Maxthon (and MyIE2)

Avant

Crazy Browser

Slim Browser

Green Browser

The World (sort of)

AOL Explorer (back when I still had AOL :x )

MSN Explorer (when I was testing XP's features)

And more.

Maxthon all the way. I went through a stage where I tried every browser because I couldn't find one that suited me. I eventually settled on MyIE2 (now named Maxthon). Year or so later I am still using it :)

I've been using TheWorld for some time now and now use it with IE7B1 and it simply does everything well, unfortunately their website has vanished so it may now be a collectors item as well.

P.S. : Neoplanet also works well with IE7B1...another colllectable too!