I want to do something about the rules!

Heres one for you.. our school has just put in place a new rule (official next wednesday) saying that if you want a water bottle in class, it must be a Deja Blue one that they sell because they had problems in the past with students filling them with alcohol.. which is utter BS because any student can take one of the DB bottles home and refill it...

So heres what i'm doing about it

I made a petition that me and 10 of my friends are passing around school, hoping to get over 500 signatures to bring to the deans (who made it)

I wrote a article for the local news paper about the situiation to bring in the media

I plan on submitting that article to 2-3 local papers to give the administration somewhat of a bad rap about that...

anything else i should do?

Edited by fred666

Not much else you can do.

Schools have water fountains and there never was a "right" to be able to bring a water bottle to class, infact most schools I've attended (I come from a military family so I've moved alot) never allowed us to eat or drink in class unless we were doing something special. School is not a democracy, and while you're there you are under thier rules, so all you can do is hope someone else cares about it enough to run with it, but chances are it will pass easily, and the media, parents, etc, won't fight it either.

How did today's youth grow into such spoiled brats? I'm staggered that you can even take a water-bottle into the classroom in the first place, yet you are whinging because the school would like at least a degree of confidence that you're not filling yourself with alcohol during school time.

I wouldn't be a teacher today for love or money. Kids claiming they are too young to be disciplined but fancy themselves as old enough to drink alcohol.

Edited by SniperX

quit being a baby and follow the rules. If you're getting all bent up over a water bottle issue wait until you get in the real world. Kids these days. I swear they think they deserve the world on a platter

petitions are useless in HS. don't bother. in fact, they're useless period.

suck it up, buy a DB bottle, and just take it home and fill it with your Bottled Water of Choice

although a boycott would hit the school where they'd notice im sure. at the very least the vendor would be commenting to them why sales are down.

tell everyone to go home and refill it with alcohol

what can they do, put 50+ pupils in detention?

then blatentley drink it in front of them  :p

586429323[/snapback]

They can actually suspend them. Even if there are 50+ students. I have seen that done before (not for same reason though).

I think you have done everything. Just wait and see what the reaction is.

It's not a case of being allowed a water bottle in class or not. Either way would be completely reasonable.

It's a matter of the school pimping out their corporate sponsors, which is totally unreasonable, and frankly sickening.

Water is fine, no water is fine, no water except for the brand that pays the school the most is despicable. I'd kick up as much of a stink as possible over this.

It's not a case of being allowed a water bottle in class or not. Either way would be completely reasonable.

It's a matter of the school pimping out their corporate sponsors, which is totally unreasonable, and frankly sickening.

Water is fine, no water is fine, no water except for the brand that pays the school the most is despicable. I'd kick up as much of a stink as possible over this.

586429361[/snapback]

umm of COURSE they make money off allowing those machines to be placed in the school. Would you rather they jack up the taxes your parents pay even further? Of course, that doesn't affect you, so who cares? Right? Grow up, child.

I'm actually on Caveman's side on this one :SHOCK:

This has NOTHING to do with rights, or alcohol.

It's about a school imposing a specific brand (that they sell) upon a captive audience. In such an instance I would go straight to my parents and get others to do the same.

Or get the one's they sell and fill them with alcohol. If the school wants to promote this brand - fair play. But make them at least admit to it.

umm of COURSE they make money off allowing those machines to be placed in the school. Would you rather they jack up the taxes your parents pay even further? Of course, that doesn't affect you, so who cares? Right? Grow up, child.

586429956[/snapback]

That may be so, but they shouldn't be forcing people to buy their brand.

In legal circles - you'd almost want to call it a monopoly. I'm completely disgusted that a school takes that kind of attitude.

I could perhaps understand them saying that all water brought in to class must be in a proper sealed bottle, and opened on premises so that you couldn't fill it with alcohol, but to inflict one particular brand is very very wrong.

I say boycott is your best bet - the supplier won't be making enough money, won't renew a contract, and then they'll have no choice but to let you bring in what you want :)

So there's this thing..... called a water fountain. Kids these days. Back when I went to school, the only water bottles around were for outdoor sports practice. If you are sweating it out walking between classes, you might try getting in better shape.

Here's a tip: the school district can set policy for everything allowed (or not) in its schools. Including what kinds of containers they allow on school grounds. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Make some poster ads, the kind that get under people's skin (and into their memory).. Line up 5 DB bottles -- 4 with water, one with alcohol. Take a picture, and caption it "Which of these beverages has the highest alcohol content?".. Then put an answer in small letters, "It's the second from the left, at 100% alcohol. Your argument does not hold water, dean."

tell everyone to go home and refill it with alcohol

what can they do, put 50+ pupils in detention?

then blatentley drink it in front of them  :p

586429323[/snapback]

Haha ^^ Colin-uk's good advice.

They might just want to make money in that case ... boycaught water :laugh:

jesus, get the **** over it.  cant you bring in a sport water bottle, or an insulated one?  something without logos.

586431149[/snapback]

Who cares what logo is on the bottle? :huh: It's water.

It's about a school imposing a specific brand (that they sell) upon a captive audience.  In such an instance I would go straight to my parents and get others to do the same.

586429977[/snapback]

Unless the school has outlawed water fountains, they are not forcing anyone to buy bottled water. You don't like the rule, don't buy the water. That is the student's choice.

What's wrong with taking in alchohol to school in different bottles? Don't mean to sound trying to be 'hip' but me and loads of my friends have done it for years, school is thoroughly boring sometimes, we need something to make it more interesting. And so long as people are sensible with it it's fine. Why would someone be so petty, let the school find anyone they want. Why not just let everyone get on with their lives and if they do stupid stuff let them face the consequences.

I'm actually on Caveman's side on this one :SHOCK:

This has NOTHING to do with rights, or alcohol.

It's about a school imposing a specific brand (that they sell) upon a captive audience.  In such an instance I would go straight to my parents and get others to do the same.

Or get the one's they sell and fill them with alcohol.  If the school wants to promote this brand - fair play.  But make them at least admit to it.

586429977[/snapback]

Yup, quite. Totally agree.

just be glad it ain't tap water that your are drinking.

586431257[/snapback]

What? What's wrong with tap water, I've been drinking tap water for 15 years. Don't be meaning to question you, just don't understand what you're saying about tap water.

What? What's wrong with tap water, I've been drinking tap water for 15 years. Don't be meaning to question you, just don't understand what you're saying about tap water.

586431284[/snapback]

Tap water in the U.S is bad mmmmkay?