Cool computer-on-a-stick

has anyone here tried the fingergear computer on a stick (cos) - http://fingergear.com

586463616[/snapback]

It looks like a rip-off to me. They have a chart on the main page which stats MS OFFICE but then it is Open office.

It is like knoppix on a bootable usb. You would be better off getting a stick and then putting linux on it and all the software by yourself.

Its description as "computer on a stick" is a misnomer, as well. It is an OS on a stick. It still requires a computer to boot and run it.

It is no more than putting something like Damn Small Linux on any existing USB stick you have lying around.

I have DSL on my USB stick, and it works great (even have QEMU on it, so I can run DSL in a virtual PC window from within Windows). I would recommend doing this yourself, over buying a pre-done product. It isn't difficult, if you have any technical skills (or can follow directions on the DSL website).

I got one and its great it has os, and all this

software preinstalled.

complete os, works with MS Office applications and email, instant messenger software, pdf file creation, mozilla foxfire web browser, secure password login, compression software, 256 bit AES encryption.

i liked it.

Its description as "computer on a stick" is a misnomer, as well.  It is an OS on a stick.  It still requires a computer to boot and run it.

It is no more than putting something like Damn Small Linux on any existing USB stick you have lying around.

I have DSL on my USB stick, and it works great (even have QEMU on it, so I can run DSL in a virtual PC window from within Windows).  I would recommend doing this yourself, over buying a pre-done product.  It isn't difficult, if you have any technical skills (or can follow directions on the DSL website).

586464346[/snapback]

I dont even know what dsl is or how to load an os onto a computer let alone a flash drive :( . btw lol, I tried doing it myself and spent several weeks and now all I have is a flash drive that wont boot, fingergears is pre-installed saves me a lot of time and I heard that fingergear's OS is configured on a protected partition that cant be accidentally erased easily