X360 Type?

I may not make much sense but please bear with me.

I want an X360. Though I plan on buying the Hardrive one, I heard that at release they are going to become obslete after a year. Since in a year the HDDVD(i think that's what they were talking about) well come out, and the first gen of X360 will not be capabltly of playing games on a HDDVD. Is this true?

Should I wait until this comes out to buy an X360 or go ahead and launch?

I couldn't figure a good way to word it, so please tell me if I should re-word it.

Well, I was also worried about this, the fact that the initial model won't have a HD-DVD drive... but then I saw that a couple of people here on neowin's forums mentioned games weren't going to be published on HD-DVD, which made it clear for me that the launch-model is perfectly fine to buy.

Besides, when you think about it, how stupid can microsoft be and do that? They'd either sell no consoles at all during the year that they haven't got the HD-DVD drive, or they will because people don't know it, but then will lose sales on games that come out, because people aren't going to purchase a secondn x360 just for a different type of drive...

I'd like someone to verify the sutff I just said though :p

HD-DVD basically states that you can store more information on the disc (I'm not sure if that's what you mean) For movies that means the resolution gets pumped up, hence the HD - High Definition - which is just more pixels. For games it would mean, more storage for textures, stories, engines and whatnot...

HD-DVD Won't be used for games for the next generation! PC games won't even use any for of next gen storage for the next few years, remember we are still seeing PC games released on multiple CDs instead of a single DVD so well you could expect PC games to ship more often on DVDs but don't count on it yet! So you see the "superior" gaming platform x86 PCs running Windows won't be using any HD discs any time soon so why couldn't the consoles be without them?

They are initially going to release dvd drive with the xbox 360. But if there's demand for HDVD and if it will do better the the current dvd then they will think about doing a upgrade for old DVD to HD-DVD. ONLY AND ONLY if there's a demant for this in near future. They were having confict between those 2 but they when with the best & reliable driver available today.

Not really but it WON'T BE USED FOR GAMES, the sole purpose would be to play HD-DVD movies.

586475404[/snapback]

Quoted once again since there are multiple threads regarding this topic, yet people are too lazy to check ;)