in what sense does the word "nig***" become ok?

this has bothered me for a while

around my school people call each other the word, and some guy went up to one dude and said: yo jon has some weed - that nig***!!!

but he said it not in a racial sense but in a good way

so im wondering when does that word become ok to use?

Well it depends who you as, alot of african americans dont like white people saying it, and even some african american dont like the word period, but the ones that do use, are mostly people from the streets, people that consider themselves thugs and what not. Then there are spanish people who just use the word because it has become somewhat of a "thing to say" kind of like homie, or bro, or dude, it just comes out on some people. Imo, the best to do is just mind your surroundings and how you use it, always keep in mind that just because some of your friends think is ok to use it, others might not like it...

If your black you can say it and call other people that, if you white or anything else you say it and your being racist. Which in that fact is being racist, and when people say end racism it starts with people not calling other people derogatory name. This includes people of the same color.

usually only between your friends

or when quoting it from the dictionary

Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people

When your black.

586591345[/snapback]

Exactly.

In my opinion, it's disgusting how racist a lot of black people are. There's such a double standard where it's OK for black people to call while people by "slang" terms, but if a white guy calls a black person by a "slang" term, they immediately get the crap beaten out of them. Ah well, it seems today that the white man is the most discriminated against in the United States.

It depends on your location, the people around you and your race. Also it depends how you say it, generally it's not a good idea to use it at all if you're White. Also, I believe that "Nig-ga" is the correct "ok" word to use.

Exactly.

In my opinion, it's disgusting how racist a lot of black people are. There's such a double standard where it's OK for black people to call while people by "slang" terms, but if a white guy calls a black person by a "slang" term, they immediately get the crap beaten out of them. Ah well, it seems today that the white man is the most discriminated against in the United States.

586591605[/snapback]

It's the same in the UK. Recently I was looking for a job, and found 'the one'. We would have been perfect for each other. But I wasn't allowed to apply because I'm white.

I was so angry. It is that sort thing that causes 'racial tension' as they call it. Though of course I'm not going to go beat someone up because Birmingham City council has a few idiot 'do-gooders' on the team.

Also, many Asians in this country are racist against white people and other Asians. They can freely express this with no come back.

As for the word << racial epithet >>, white people are racist if they use it, apparently. But it is acceptable for black people to say.

Is it racist to call all Caucasians a "honky"? I think so, but then it is OK for people to say this and it is not "really" (or considered) to be racist! I would certainly say that the N word is racist!

"Honky comes from bohunk and hunky, derogatory terms for Bohemian, Hungarian, and Polish immigrants that came into use around the turn of the century. According to Robert Hendrickson, author of the Encyclopaedia of Word and Phrase Origins, black workers in Chicago meat-packing plants picked up the term from white workers and began applying it indiscriminately to all Caucasians. Probably thought they all looked alike."

obake, You can't seriously say this is the "White man being discriminated against"..seriously..is that much of a problem for you to not say it? I won't get into a hardcore racial discussion, but are you really missing out just because you can't say one certain word?

Here's a quick note, don't EVER use it with the -er, that's offensive to everyone period. I don't tell my white friends they can't say it, as long as it isn't with the -er..but yeah, the word is sort of an alternative term for "my brother", just for African Americans.

I dunno, the world needs to stop seeing everything as a racial thing and just let people be people.

Nigg with an a is non-racist, means friend but only used by blacks.

Nigg with er is racist and means a black slave.

Black people all agree, only black people can say << racial epithet >>. When a white person says it, it's a no no.

Both definitions from Wikipedia:

In 1600 I was a darkie, until 1865 a slave, in 1900 I was a << racial epithet >> or at least that was my name, in 1960 I was a negro..."

"<< racial epithet >>" is an extremely controversial term used in many English-speaking countries, including the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia (but also in other countries where English is spoken such as Germany, specifically) to refer to people of Black heritage, especially those of African descent. During the chattel enslavement of Africans, it was once the standard, casual English term for black people. Associated with the word traditionally have been an institutional contempt, a presumption of inherent inferiority, even of bestiality, making it extremely pejorative and abusive.

Historically, African Americans have appropriated the slur, subverted it to a self-referential term that is often suggestive of familiarity, endearment, or kinship. However, when used in this manner, the spelling is often changed to "<< racial epithet >>". All, however, have rejected the original term as racist and dehumanizing. Generally, "<< racial epithet >>" is considered a highly offensive racial epithet, especially when used by non-blacks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honkey (alternatively, Honky or Honkie) can have several different meanings:

1. As a derogatory term for white people, especially in North America.

Most frequently used by African Americans, the word was popularized, at least in part, on the 1970s and 1980s sitcom The Jeffersons.

"Honkey" was probably derived from Civil War era "Yankee". Possibly a combination of the Wolof word honq meaning pink or pale and hunky, an alteration of bohunk, a nineteenth-century pejorative term for an Eastern European.

2. To refer to Country and Western music and musicians, cowboys, and their surrounding culture, which are often called "honky tonk."

3. A synonym of "Honger", which means a person who is from Hong Kong.

Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, Fifth Edition, copyrighted in 1942, defines hunky as: A foreign-born laborer, usually unskilled, especially a Hungarian or Yugoslav.

4. Hunky is an old word for a European menial worker. Read the talk page.

5. One popular belief to the origin of the word is from the mid-20th century. When a white man would take a black girl on a date, he would sit in the car outside and honk, hence the term honky, instead of getting out of the car. <-------- :)

After I posted this, all the terms used in the first definition all have << racial epithet >> inserted, but absolutely NOTHING in the second definition, found that to be rather amusing!!

I've wondered this myself. It's wrong to call a black person that, but it's okay for them to say it and some black people say it all the time. I doesn't make any damn sense and black people that use it shouldn't get mad if someone else calls them one. It's very hypocritical.