TextEdit won't open

Well, I seem to be having a problem. Everytime I try to open TextEdit, the icon appears and immediately disappears from the Dock. It's like it opens and immediately closes. I tried deleting the preferences file for it, but that didn't seem to help. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

The best I can do off the top of my head is repairing permissions. No matter how or why it seems to fix 60-70% of all problems no matter what. Barring that I will have a think...

If none of the above yields any results...go to:

Home (you)->Library->Preferences->com.apple.TextEdit.plist...and delete the com.apple.TextEdit.plist-file, logout/login...relaunch TextEdit...

If none of the above yields any results...go to:

Home (you)->Library->Preferences->com.apple.TextEdit.plist...and delete the com.apple.TextEdit.plist-file, logout/login...relaunch TextEdit...

586679582[/snapback]

I tried deleting the preferences file for it, but that didn't seem to help.

:rolleyes:

I tried deleting the preferences file for it, but that didn't seem to help.

:rolleyes:

586680497[/snapback]

Yeah...well...I didn't see that...no need to "rolleyes" me

:whistle:

Open Console and find the log file for TextEdit.  Let us know what it says.

586677449[/snapback]

Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob at this, how do I do that? I can open up Terminal, but what are the commands to get me to the log file?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a noob at this, how do I do that? I can open up Terminal, but what are the commands to get me to the log file?

586684911[/snapback]

Cleaning your cache didn't work out?

Cleaning your cache didn't work out?

586684916[/snapback]

No. I downloaded that Cocktail program and ran it, but that didn't fix anything.

Fortunately, everything is OK now. I took it to the Help Center at my school. and they said that one of the preferences files was just overwritten with some crazy-ass stuff, so they copied one from another 10.4 machine and pasted it onto mine. Everything works perfectly now. Still don't know how it happened, but at least everything is OK now.

But removing the preference file itself had no effect?? :dontgetit:

586685322[/snapback]

No, it didn't. I know, it was really weird. Is there more than one Preferences file for an app? They went into Terminal and navigated to TextEdit.app and started checking out the stuff in there, and came to this conclusion. I wasn't watching the screen the whole time, but that's sorta what I gathered.

obake: Either spotlight "Console" or open up Applications > Utilities > Console. Then you're going to have to browse around. I've never had TextEdit crash on me, so I'm not sure of where the log would be... My guess would be in ~/Library/Logs > CrashReporter. Browse around, you'll find it eventually.