Application start-up priority

Hello,

I'm sure a lot of people have this problem and I was wondering if anyone knew a way to fix it.

When I boot into windows xp I have lots of propgrams loading up usually at the same time (the ones that show up in the bottom right). Now my problem is that MSN Messenger and AIM load before Norton Firewall which can be quite annoying because both of the IMs log-in, log-out when the firewall initilises and then log back in again. Is there any way I can make Norton Firewall the first program to start-up?

Cheers,

Kez

im not exactly sure how, but you can try disabling one applications to see what happens or you can mess around with your startup apps by using msconfig.

Start>Run>type msconfig and click startup tab on the top.

stop ur IM's from logging in before you manually click log-in...on MSN main screen go to tools>>options>>general and untick "Allow automatic sign in when connected to the Internet", i dont know about yahoo as i dont use it lol :D

I dont think it is possible to change the startup order of programs in msconfig. An option is to uncheck all the startup programs in msconfig, then create a batch file with the programs you want to startup in it, in the order you want and place it in your "Start Menu->All Programs->Startup" Folder. For example (of batch file):

start "" "C:\Windows\notepad.exe"

start "" "C:\Windows\system32\mspaint.exe"

This wil start notepad, then mspaint. Simply replace the file paths with the programs you want to start.

Hope this is of some help.

I thought about e-mailling them with the suggestion because I wouldn't imagine it would be too difficult to implement it.

Thanks for the batch file suggestion. I did consider it but couldn't be arsed so I thought I'd find out if there was a glaringly easy and obvious way to do it in windows that i'd missed but I guess not!

Thanks all,

Kez

The question isn't which programs to start but in which order to start them. I've recently asked myself if i could do something like that, but i don't know how. When my windows start, the disk goes crazy, it's like if you start messenger, iTunes, Spybot S&D adn OpenOffice at the same time, and it takes more time to run them at the same time. So any easy solution would be great.

I dont think it is possible to change the startup order of programs in msconfig. An option is to uncheck all the startup programs in msconfig, then create a batch file with the programs you want to startup in it, in the order you want and place it in your "Start Menu->All Programs->Startup" Folder. For example (of batch file):

start "" "C:\Windows\notepad.exe"

start "" "C:\Windows\system32\mspaint.exe"

This wil start notepad, then mspaint. Simply replace the file paths with the programs you want to start.

Hope this is of some help.

Il like very much the idea, is it possible to add a specified delay typically in seconds to each batch at startup?

For example , I would like to start peerguardian.exe then 10 sec after emule.exe , and that 90 seconds or so after Windows starts.

Thanks in advance ,

nar

• 2 weeks later...

If you don't want to use 3rd party utilities, make a batch file similar to the following one.

start E:\Misc\Desktop\Konfabulator\Konfabulator.exe

delay 3

start E:\Misc\Miranda\miranda32.exe

delay 2

start E:\Misc\Desktop\RainMeter\Rainmeter.exe

delay 2

start E:\Misc\ObjectDock\ObjectDock.exe

delay 3

start C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe /e, d:\Movie

delay 3

start E:\Misc\WinCmd\WINCMD32.EXE

delay 2

start E:\Misc\FlashFXP\FlashFXP.exe

delay 3

start E:\Misc\Maxthon\Maxthon.exe

delay 3

call E:\Misc\4nt\Links\ACDSee.lnk

"delay" is an internal console command, so don't worry about downloading from internet.

delay 1 ---> wait 1 second

delay 2 ---> wait 2 seconds

You get the idea... ^^;

Save the file with an extension of .bat and put it in your satrtup folder.

PS: Some programs need to be run from a shortcut rather than exe file itself.