Everything I try to open in IE opens in Firefox

I'm having this weird problem. Every time I try to access any page through the Address bar or Bookmarks or whatever in Internet Explorer, opens instead in Firefox! Even the search in IE's Google toolbar opens in Firefox.

Does anybody know what the hell is going on? It's not that I don't like Firefox, I love it, but there are pages that only open properly in IE...

Thanks in advance!

Try "My Computer" - "Tools" - "Folder Options" - "File Types" and check the associations for HTM and HTML files. Click the advanced button for each and it will bring up a menu which will show the default app for opening that file type.

Is Firefox set to be your default internet app?

For some reason, whenever i click a link in Internet Explorer it opens it up in Mozilla, even if i type a link into the address bar.

Does anyone know why this is and how i can fix it?

Thanks in advance.

IE is trying to please too hard :p

You probably set firefox as a default browser for everything, in some regkey or some setting. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox?

I downloaded the installer and run it hoping it would change settings back but nothing, if i uninstall firefox that would lose all my extensions, themes and layout wouldnt it?

I have already tried that but the strange thing is that IE doesn't even ask to "be the default browser" when I set it to be the default in Internet Options...

The problem is that whenever I try to open a webpage in IE, it redirects to Firefox, like a music or video file, for example.

Firefox has always been the default here, and everything was ok until today...

Edit: Ok, I tried uninstalling Firefox, and when I try to open a page in IE it says "No application found"....wtf??

That means IE is really looking for another application to open pages...

Edited by brunok

Sounds like its an IE7 issue, not a Firefox issue.

The pitfalls of Beta software. Have you tried rolling back to a restore point before you installed IE7? Might be your only remaining option.

The problem is, I didn't install IE7, so there's no restore point that works (I tried some of them)...

There's this way to use IE7 without installing, you just extract the contents of the installer and delete some files, then you just run iexplore.exe. I thought this was the best way to test IE7 because I didn't need to install anything, but it seems that even without installing, IE7 "installed itself" and messed up my system...

I really don't know what to do, I tried to reinstall IE6 with some methods around the internet (I'm using WinXP SP2), but it didn't work out...

Could you have firefox set on default web browser?

Yes, it's the default here, but that's clearly not the problem, it used to work before and I can't set IE6 as default...

Having the same problem.....

Uninstalling IE7 was my problem....

If you ever solve this problem, please let me know...

Ok, I figured it out! Salgoth, you were almost right...what I had to change were those url:protocol stuff to Internet Explorer open them...

No problem, hadn't even considered url:protocol. So, I learned something new myself as well!

You might mention next time that you're using a beta version of an unreleased browser. It makes a world of difference.

I know, but I thought that wasn't relevant because I didn't actually install it...so I thought it wouldn't mess up the rest of the system!

Sure.

My Windows is in another language, so maybe my translations aren't very accurate, but I think you can understand it.

Open Controle Panel > Folder Options > File types tab

And then there should 4 URL:Protocol which are assigned to Firefox: FTP, Gopher, HTTP and HTTP confidencial (probably HTTPS). You'll have to do the following for all of them: select one of the URL:Protocol > Advanced > select open > Edit and in the "Application used to execute the action" field, put Internet Explorer's location, which is probably "c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" with the quotes (maybe it works without). Then Uncheck "Use DDE" because I have no idea what that is.

Everything should be fine now, and once you open Firefox it'll ask to be the default browser, and you can click Yes if you want cause it won't mess up with Internet Explorer.

Sure.

My Windows is in another language, so maybe my translations aren't very accurate, but I think you can understand it.

Open Controle Panel > Folder Options > File types tab

And then there should 4 URL:Protocol which are assigned to Firefox: FTP, Gopher, HTTP and HTTP confidencial (probably HTTPS). You'll have to do the following for all of them: select one of the URL:Protocol > Advanced > select open > Edit and in the "Application used to execute the action" field, put Internet Explorer's location, which is probably "c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe" with the quotes (maybe it works without). Then Uncheck "Use DDE" because I have no idea what that is.

Everything should be fine now, and once you open Firefox it'll ask to be the default browser, and you can click Yes if you want cause it won't mess up with Internet Explorer.

A couple of problems occured. Now when I click on a link (like my hotmail link), it opens up a windows of internet explorer and then another one which opens up a login page for Passport.

Whenever I type a link into Internet Explorer, it opens it up in a new Internet Explorer window, not the current one.

Try setting IE as your default browser to see what happens. I did that before I had set Firefox as default. Or set Firefox as default first and then set IE as default. This is just to clean up the mess in those URL:Protocols.

But it seems that now IE is still calling another program to open pages, but this time it's not Firefox, it's IE...

Try setting IE as your default browser to see what happens. I did that before I had set Firefox as default. Or set Firefox as default first and then set IE as default. This is just to clean up the mess in those URL:Protocols.

But it seems that now IE is still calling another program to open pages, but this time it's not Firefox, it's IE...

Wierd. Set IE to default and fixed all of those settings and still the same problem. Type in an webpage and it opens it in a new window.

Could the %1 have anything to do with it when it was with Firefox?

EDIT: If this helps, I set back to Firefox and while doing some tests, I came up with "http://ie.search.msn.com/migrate.asp?SERVER=http://search.msn.com&srch=3&FORM=ASMIG&q=[search word]" whenever I would type a word. Migrate? Interesting....

Edited by Eli

Yep, I have got the same problem. Went a bit further and removed IE, installed Service pack 2 again hoping it would fill in the blanks but the problem still remains. Did complete cleanout of Firefox as well. Only thing I achieved was IE back as default browser. If I open IE and try and go to an webpage by typing in address bar or through favourites it opens another IE window and does nothing, crashes when I try to close it. At least its not open firefox this time around.

So, anyone know a way to solve this because its getting ridiculous. Wish I never tried that IE7 without installing now. I also installed IE7, uninstalled to see if that solved the problem but no luck.

Something is really screwed up but I just can't figure out what the problem is.