• I prefer Pure64
    • I prefer biarch
    • I'll avoid 64bit Linux until Multiarch is finished
    • I would prefer biarch but I'll stick to Debian
    • I would prefer Pure64 but my distro doesn't use it
    • I had no idea that there was a difference
    • I have no plans for 64bit Linux
    • Other (please post)

Some distros use a biarch approach such where 32bit libs go into one folder and 64bit libs go into another folder (i.e. /usr/libs and /usr/libs64)

Other distros, namely Debian, use the Pure64 approach where only 64bit libraries go in /usr/libs. There is no mixing of 32bit libraries at all as you are expected to install a 32bit chroot to ruin 32-bit applications with 32bit libraries.

Some people find this approach to be "clean" as there is no mixing of 32bit and 64bit libraries. Other people find that creating a 32bit chroot is annoying.

Debian is working towards multiarch once Etch is completed that will apparently combine the benefits of both systems. I also read recently that people have now compiled a 64bit version of OpenOffice 2.0.3 (not for any speed advantages but just so it runs natively in a Pure64 environment without a 32bit chroot).

I'd go PowerPC before IA-64, or amd64, or whatever the hell you wanna call it. In the world of cross-platform software, there is no need for backwards-compatible hardware.

I'd go PowerPC before IA-64, or amd64, or whatever the hell you wanna call it. In the world of cross-platform software, there is no need for backwards-compatible hardware.

Not at source code is 64bit clean nor does it necessarily compile on other platforms. I see your point as being "In an ideal world..." but that isn't always the case.